"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 09-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Sliced avocado in a pita pocket with tomato and bean sprouts, little vinegarrette to dress it.

Diced avocado, black beans, corriander, lime, green onions and tomato. Mix and let chill for an hour. Eat with tortillas or in a wrap.

Corn tortillas filled with mashed black beans, onion, garlic, cumin and corriander. Roll, stick a tooth pick in them if neccesary to hold closed, brush lightly with oil. Bake about 15 minutes at 400F or until crisp. Top with mashed avocado.

Diced avocado, olives (whatever kind you like or a medley), diced cucumber, diced tomatoes, fresh chopped basil. Drizzle with balsamic vinagarette.

In a blener combine avocado, basil, hulled pumpkin seeds (papitas), and one clove garlic. Toss with cooked pasta.

In a blender combine avocado, chick peas (garbonzo beans), clove garlic, and parsely. Use as a dip for vegetables, bread, pita chips, or whatever.

Blend one avocado with onion, small amount of garlic, black pepper, oregano, and a little lemon. With blender on, add milk or milk sub until creamy and desired dressing consistency. Toss with your favorite green salad.

Roast sweet red peppers. Cook pasta shells or rottini to just done. Combine pasta, peppers, avocado, broccoli florrettes (bite size). Squeeze the juice from one tomato (you want a clear light juice) and strain. Add a tiny bit of vinegar, a tiny bit of sugar, a dash of celery seed, and a little black pepper. Toss with pasta and veggies. Chill for one hour.

Mash avocado. Stir in lime juice. Fill celery sticks with avocado mash. Add almond slivers and/or raisins/craisins if desired.

Diced avocado, salad greens, strawberries, walnuts tossed with a little lime juice and olive oil.

Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Love it PAG! Thanks!

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #13
Head Chef
My Mom and I made Creamy Avocado Pasta a couple weekends ago & really enjoyed it.

I love scrambled eggs or an omelette topped with avocado.

But my all time favorite is to find a perfectly ripe one, split it in half, sprinkle with a bit of salt and spoon it right out of the skin!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #14
Sous Chef
one of my favorite tacos is an avocado taco. Sliced avocado, lime juice, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, salt and pepper, shredded cheddar on a hot corn tortilla. Plus salsa if you want.
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Slice, squeeze some fresh lime juice over slices, S&P and enjoy.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
I made this for a dinner party recently and it was a huge hit.

Avocado Salad with Tomatoes, Lime, and Toasted Cumin Vinaigrette Recipe : Bobby Flay : Recipes : Food Network
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
Head Chef
ooh Great share, Andy. ;) I think I'll skip the arugula and make it a black bean salad since I have some soaking. Cumin in a vinaigrette is such a great idea!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote

avocado, recipe, vegetarian

Best avocado recipes (vegetarian) Hello all. I have [I]just[/I] discovered how delicious avocados are (I can't believe I just discovered this either) and I want to start incorporating them into the entire days meals. Post here your favorite avocado recipes that don't use meat, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so that new and veteran avocado lovers have easy access to an avocado meal encyclopedia! The first recipe I want to try is a simple avocado toast, 1/2 mashed avocado on a slice of bread with a pan fried egg ontop. What can i add to the mashed avocado to make it bolder and or tastier? 3 stars 1 reviews