Blackberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Just bought some blackberries at Sams's Club. I bought it without having a recipe in mind. I like eating fruit as is but also maybe in a salad or something, any ideas?

In cereal is very tasty, or oatmeal. I put blueberries in my oatmeal every day! If you have other fruit in the house you can make a lovely fruit salad.

Of course, there is always blackberry PIE!!!

Take about two cups blackberries to 1/2 cup sugar, place in pot and boil down to reduce and thicken. Pour over pancakes, waffles, crepes, ice cream, etc.

We use to have them with a little milk and sugar- very simple dessert.

That's how I like them too. And if you leave them to sit in the milk and sugar for a bit they start to break down and are extra yummy.

In cereal is very tasty, or oatmeal. I put blueberries in my oatmeal every day! If you have other fruit in the house you can make a lovely fruit salad.

Of course, there is always blackberry PIE!!!

My vote is the pie! We had blackberry bushes in our backyard at our old house and I would pick them every morning. They were wild and it was sometimes impossible to keep up with. I made cobblers, pies, froze berries you name it. But the pie was always everyone's favourite! Alas, we have moved and we drove by a couple of month's ago to find out the new owners had removed all the bushes.

I'm mulling over a raspberry pie idea. I keep bumping into a couple gallons of the berries in the freezer and need to use them soon. I am optimistic about the upcoming raspberry season. The drought has cut the season short the past two years. Pie sounds good, with a cream or custard base...

I live in the Northwest where blackberries grow wild like weeds. They are a real pain. Half of my 1/2 acre lot is covered with them. They even grow in the garage. I've fought them so long, I finally am satisfied just to keep them in check. This aside, I do use the berries (hard not to when they are coming through the windows)

So, I make blackberry jam. It's really quick and easy.
5 cups washed blackberries
1/2 tsp butter or margarine
1 package fruit Pectin (4 tbsp)
7 cups sugar

1. Place berries, butter and pectin in large pot and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
2. Add sugar and bring back to a boil and cook 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat and pour into sterilized canning jars. Seal with new lids.
4. Process 15 minutes in a hot water bath.
Makes 8 half pints. Much more flavorful than store bought.

I like to mash them up in my lemonade.
For work my signature martini was a blackberry pear concoction.. I made a strained blackberry puree with a dsah of lemon and simple syrup mixed in. Just add Grey Goose Pear (NOT absolut, very different), shake, and you're set! In a pinch try Grey Goose Poire muddled with lemon slice, sugar and blackberries. Might want to strain the seeds *cough!*

I procured this recipe from a little dessert place in San Francisco called Sweet Inspirations:

Using a tart pan, make a dark chocolate cookie crust, then fill it with a semi-sweet dark chocolate mousse. Once it's set, cover the entire top of the tart with blackberries. Slice into 6 or 8 servings, adding only one dollop of whipped cream to each slice.

I procured this recipe from a little dessert place in San Francisco called Sweet Inspirations:

Using a tart pan, make a dark chocolate cookie crust, then fill it with a semi-sweet dark chocolate mousse. Once it's set, cover the entire top of the tart with blackberries. Slice into 6 or 8 servings, adding only one dollop of whipped cream to each slice.
You are a wicked man, Caine. I don't have any of those things in the house so now I have to go to the store! It sounds absolutely fabulous.

Just bought some blackberries at Sams's Club. I bought it without having a recipe in mind. I like eating fruit as is but also maybe in a salad or something, any ideas?

One of the best berries out there. Great in a fruit salad. Best in Cobblers or pies or over ice cream. Makes a great jam(or reduced sauce).

I live in the Northwest where blackberries grow wild like weeds. They are a real pain. Half of my 1/2 acre lot is covered with them. They even grow in the garage. I've fought them so long, I finally am satisfied just to keep them in check. This aside, I do use the berries (hard not to when they are coming through the windows)

So, I make blackberry jam. It's really quick and easy.
5 cups washed blackberries
1/2 tsp butter or margarine
1 package fruit Pectin (4 tbsp)
7 cups sugar

1. Place berries, butter and pectin in large pot and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
2. Add sugar and bring back to a boil and cook 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat and pour into sterilized canning jars. Seal with new lids.
4. Process 15 minutes in a hot water bath.
Makes 8 half pints. Much more flavorful than store bought.

:) My brother who lives in Eugene , OR , says the same thing about people hating the bushes as they are so invasive. I might be wrong but I would love to have them here as I love Black Berries. It is just to dry here to try and grow Black Berries. We do have wild strawberries/ raspberries in the high country but the birds and bears get them way before we can, that is if we can find some

Back
Top Bottom