Boysenberries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I was in Smith’s (Kroger) the other day, in the produce department. Smith’s has berries pretty much all year. Blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. But no boysenberries. In fact, I don’t remember ever seeing them.

I know it’s off-season, but if they can produce blueberries and blackberries off-season, why not boysenberries? Are they out of vogue?

Here is Massachusetts blueberries, strawberries, razzberries and blackberries are all on presently sale. But they are all imported. Perhaps boysenberries only grow here in the U.S.

We have blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries in abundance here in the grocery stores and farmer's markets, but I haven't seen boysenberries in years. I used to adore those plump lovelies back in the day.

Prompted me to do a search. :) It looks like (at least here in CA), the boysenberry has such a short growing season and is so perishable, that the majority of what is still grown goes into commercial jams and jellies. Good topic, Joel.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/27/food/la-fo-boysenberry-20100527

Last edited:
We have blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries in abundance here in the grocery stores and farmer's markets, but I haven't seen boysenberries in years. I used to adore those plump lovelies back in the day.

Prompted me to do a search. :) It looks like (at least here in CA), the boysenberry has such a short growing season and is so perishable, that the majority of what is still grown goes into commercial jams and jellies. Good topic, Joel.

The history of the boysenberry, a California treasure - latimes
Very interesting! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom