Candied Orange Peels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calya

Senior Cook
I really love chocolate covered candied orange peels, but they are not always available for sale. I tried a recipe that I found on Food Network last year, but my orange peels turned out softer than those I find at Godiva's. They also took a very long time to make. Does anyone have any tips or a really good recipe?

I love candied citrus peel!

The method is to boil, drain, boil, drain till they get to the level of bitterness you like. For me, that's three times. Then I add one part sugar to two parts water and bring to a boil till it reduced to a syrup (about 40 minutes). I put them on wire racks for a full day and then dip. Wonderful. Someone here suggested that I dry them out in the oven before I dip and that gave me a firmer peel which might work for you.

(I've also dipped (with tongs) in syrup brought to the hard ball stage for a hard coating. If you do that be VERY careful.)

How exactly do you make this? Anyone got a recipe? It sounds really interesting.

The method is to boil, drain, boil, drain till they get to the level of bitterness you like. For me, that's three times. Then I add one part sugar to two parts water and bring to a boil till it reduced to a syrup (about 40 minutes). I put them on wire racks for a full day and then dip. Wonderful. Someone here suggested that I dry them out in the oven before I dip and that gave me a firmer peel which might work for you.

(I've also dipped (with tongs) in syrup brought to the hard ball stage for a hard coating. If you do that be VERY careful.)

Thanks! That sounds great. Drying them out in the oven sounds like it will do the trick.

That's the way I do it, but I prefer to dip the finished peels in melted bittersweet chocolate. :pig:

How exactly do you make this? Anyone got a recipe? It sounds really interesting.

Last time I made them, I did a search for candied orange peels on the food network website. I used one of the recipes there.

Then I add one part sugar to two parts water and bring to a boil till it reduced to a syrup (about 40 minutes).

Do you leave it boiling with the lid open for 40 minutes? or simmer it with the lid open? I assume you don't leave the lid closed otherwise it won't reduce?

I tried to make candied orange peels 2 days ago and I tried drying some of them in the oven. They are just not turning out the way I like them. :(
I am going to try another batch soon.

Thanks for the help. :)

I'm going to be making some next mon or tue.

I boil them a few times in several changes of water then I dilute (about) one cup of sugar in 4 to 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. At that point I turn down the heat till it's at a slow simmer and wipe the sides to mop up all the sugar crystals then I leave it alone till reduced to a thick syrup. I do not stir it the entire time. When it gets to the final stages I will swirl the pan around but never touch the contents inside -- the syrup is REALLY thick. You have to stand over it the last ten minutes or so.

I set up wire racks with wax paper underneath and quickly pull them out and lay them across the rack. (I find chopsticks are really good for this task.) I leave it alone for a full day so that the remaining syrup can drip down.

At this point I can have fun:

1) Dip in tempered chocolate.

2) Sprinkle granulated sugar on both sides.

3) Chop them up, add a little orange liqueur, a few raisins and/or chopped up apricot and use it for cake fillings, ice cream toppings, etc.

As I said, I did try putting them in a slow oven overnight (as I would with meringues) and then dipped but it's an extra day and I don't think I'll be patient enough this time.

Oh, do save the syrup. I add the zest of an orange and dilute it just a little bit with water then put it in a jar. It makes an unusual sweetener for tea. (I want to try adding a bit to my sorbet this time.)

That sounds great. Thanks so much whole milk. I save the syrup as well and make iced tea with it. I put it in green tea and add fresh squeezed lemon juice. It's very delicious.

Back
Top Bottom