Cantaloupe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i bought some prosciutto to have with canteloupe this week, but i forgot to get the canteloupe. :wacko:

oh, btw, most diners around me halve the melon, scoop out the seeds, then wrap each half very tightly in plastic wrap, twisting it into a knot of sorts on the rounded ends, sealing them very well.

i do this at home and it keeps the uneaten halfs pretty fresh in the fridge.

Cool.I remember liking to spoon it off the wedge.

Me too! And I LOVE a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a wedge of juicy, soft and sweet cantaloupe. I might even go so far to say that it is my absolute favorite summertime treat.

Yes, dipping them in your neighbor's pool would do the trick. Pools are chlorinated to sanitize them.

I have used bleach on occasion but not usually.

Hope nobody's done anything they shouldn't have in that pool.:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:. And remember, though they are sanitized, sweat, salts, hair, toe-jam, etc. all live in those pools.:huh:

Me, I'll just eat my fruit fresh, and rinse under well water, with a bit of scrubbing with a soft bristle brush.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hope nobody's done anything they shouldn't have in that pool.:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:. And remember, though they are sanitized, sweat, salts, hair, toe-jam, etc. all live in those pools.:huh:

Me, I'll just eat my fruit fresh, and rinse under well water, with a bit of scrubbing with a soft bristle brush.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

How do you clean a bunch of herbs, GW? Something that would not take well to brushing. Do you think rinsing really does anything?

Use a salad spinner. Fill the bowl with water, put the herbs in the basket, and swoosh them around just like you were washing out a pair of socks. (Don't wring them out! )

Lift the basket out of the water, dump the bowl, rinse under the tap, then spin dry.

You don't have a salad spinner? Run out and buy one right now. :)

Back when the salmonella or E.coli scare (can't remember which) with the Mexican chain restaurant broke out a few years back, one of the news stations here mentioned something about how just a simple rinse under running water of the green onions would probably have washed off most, if not all of the bacteria.

Don't know how sound that advice was/is but there have been experiments done under controlled conditions that show there's not much difference in bacterial growth with well-rinsed versus washed hands, as well as just the opposite. So, basically, who knows.

Last edited:
How do you clean a bunch of herbs, GW? Something that would not take well to brushing. Do you think rinsing really does anything?

I just rinse them off very well from different angles, top to bottom, bottom to top, side to side, turn them upside down over the sink and shake gently to get most of water off, then plop them in a jar of water with a paper towel underneath and then just let them air dry, placing them in water jar in the fridge after they are dry. Too much trouble to drag out the salad spinner and clean after use.

Course about the only fresh herb we use that we don't grow ourselves and pick for use as needed is cilantro and that's only cause it bolts so easily down here.

Well at any rate, I sliced through my cantaloupe without washing it and I'm still here Monday morning :mrgreen:

But then, as a kid we would eat fruit from the trees and potatoes from the ground with only a wipe on our (I'm sure) dirty pants.

Use a salad spinner. Fill the bowl with water, put the herbs in the basket, and swoosh them around just like you were washing out a pair of socks. (Don't wring them out! )

Lift the basket out of the water, dump the bowl, rinse under the tap, then spin dry.

You don't have a salad spinner? Run out and buy one right now. :)

I think that just makes the germs dizzy:LOL:

Back when the salmonella or E.coli scare (can't remember which) with the Mexican chain restaurant broke out a few years back, one of the news stations here mentioned something about how just a simple rinse under running water of the green onions would probably have washed off most, if not all of the bacteria.

Don't know how sound that advice was/is but there have been experiments done under controlled conditions that show there's not much difference in bacterial growth with well-rinsed versus washed hands, as well as just the opposite. So, basically, who knows.

If the offending bacteria are in the soil and are drawn into the veggies through their root systems, they end up INSIDE the veggies. No amount of rinsing will help.

I found a good rinse helps lettuce from the garden.. gets all the gritty bits out... :)

Don't like gritty bits in me lettuce.

Oh, definitely rinse or brush off the gritty bits.
I'm not a fan of gritty bits either.
Heck, I don't even eat grits!
;)

If the offending bacteria are in the soil and are drawn into the veggies through their root systems, they end up INSIDE the veggies. No amount of rinsing will help.

There was recently an outbreak of a nasty salmonella in Germany. Spain was erroneously blamed. Finally, the source was foudn to be bean sprouts. It seems that the salmonella, as Andy stated, was in the soil and was then found in the beans themselves, inside. When they were sprouted, in a moist environment of course, the salmonella had the perfect medium to reproduce in and the rest is history. As bean sprouts are eaten raw in salads, and in sandwiches, the little nasties aren't destroyed as they would be if the beans were just cooked.

It has been stated by many a virologist that if we knew of all the many microscopic things there are that are trying to kill us, each and every moment of our lives, we would live in terror continuously. All I can say is that I am thankful that I have a fairly robust immune system.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I am definitely NOT from the food police, but you should wash the outside of the melon before you slice it. Some folks have gotten e. coli from the dirty rinds. Same goes for watermelon.

Does coating the watermelon in lard, dropping it in a shallow area in a lake and letting selected members from two troops of boyscouts at it, count as washing?:rolleyes: BTW, first troop to have someone carry it on shore wins! Keep in mind that they have been camping for 5 days already with showers being at a minimum.:wacko:

We like to make a three mustard, grilled chicken that gets served with melons (cantaloupe and honeydew) and kiwis as sides.

Craig

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom