"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #41
Executive Chef

I enjoy cantaloupe in all the ways perviously mentioned. I also like it with a scoop of cottage cheese and salt and pepper :-)

Old 06-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

i bought some prosciutto to have with canteloupe this week, but i forgot to get the canteloupe.

oh, btw, most diners around me halve the melon, scoop out the seeds, then wrap each half very tightly in plastic wrap, twisting it into a knot of sorts on the rounded ends, sealing them very well.

i do this at home and it keeps the uneaten halfs pretty fresh in the fridge.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Cool.I remember liking to spoon it off the wedge.
Me too! And I LOVE a scoop of vanilla ice cream on a wedge of juicy, soft and sweet cantaloupe. I might even go so far to say that it is my absolute favorite summertime treat.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Yes, dipping them in your neighbor's pool would do the trick. Pools are chlorinated to sanitize them.

I have used bleach on occasion but not usually.
Hope nobody's done anything they shouldn't have in that pool.. And remember, though they are sanitized, sweat, salts, hair, toe-jam, etc. all live in those pools.

Me, I'll just eat my fruit fresh, and rinse under well water, with a bit of scrubbing with a soft bristle brush.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Hope nobody's done anything they shouldn't have in that pool.. And remember, though they are sanitized, sweat, salts, hair, toe-jam, etc. all live in those pools.

Me, I'll just eat my fruit fresh, and rinse under well water, with a bit of scrubbing with a soft bristle brush.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
How do you clean a bunch of herbs, GW? Something that would not take well to brushing. Do you think rinsing really does anything?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #46
Head Chef

Use a salad spinner. Fill the bowl with water, put the herbs in the basket, and swoosh them around just like you were washing out a pair of socks. (Don't wring them out! )

Lift the basket out of the water, dump the bowl, rinse under the tap, then spin dry.

You don't have a salad spinner? Run out and buy one right now. :)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #47
Head Chef

Back when the salmonella or E.coli scare (can't remember which) with the Mexican chain restaurant broke out a few years back, one of the news stations here mentioned something about how just a simple rinse under running water of the green onions would probably have washed off most, if not all of the bacteria.

Don't know how sound that advice was/is but there have been experiments done under controlled conditions that show there's not much difference in bacterial growth with well-rinsed versus washed hands, as well as just the opposite. So, basically, who knows.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
How do you clean a bunch of herbs, GW? Something that would not take well to brushing. Do you think rinsing really does anything?
I just rinse them off very well from different angles, top to bottom, bottom to top, side to side, turn them upside down over the sink and shake gently to get most of water off, then plop them in a jar of water with a paper towel underneath and then just let them air dry, placing them in water jar in the fridge after they are dry. Too much trouble to drag out the salad spinner and clean after use.

Course about the only fresh herb we use that we don't grow ourselves and pick for use as needed is cilantro and that's only cause it bolts so easily down here.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Well at any rate, I sliced through my cantaloupe without washing it and I'm still here Monday morning

But then, as a kid we would eat fruit from the trees and potatoes from the ground with only a wipe on our (I'm sure) dirty pants.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Use a salad spinner. Fill the bowl with water, put the herbs in the basket, and swoosh them around just like you were washing out a pair of socks. (Don't wring them out! )

Lift the basket out of the water, dump the bowl, rinse under the tap, then spin dry.

You don't have a salad spinner? Run out and buy one right now. :)

I think that just makes the germs dizzy

Tags
None