Cantaloupe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's not the amount of water in it that limits it's ability to be a good grilled food, but the amount of sugar vs. something like pineapple or peaches.

still, it can be done, if you like warmed canteloupe, lol.

however, smoked and/or dehydrated canteloupe is delicious.

I keep mine in a Ziplock bag in the fridge. Try making a salad with some Parma ham and crisp greens or eating it with granola and greek yoghurt.

Just pass the salt and pepper, please. We love cantaloupes 'round here. Be aware though, the very large ones you see at the produce counter are the hybrids and while they are good, they ain't as good nor as sweet as the smaller variety. At least, in our neck of the woods.

I am definitely NOT from the food police, but you should wash the outside of the melon before you slice it. Some folks have gotten e. coli from the dirty rinds. Same goes for watermelon.

Also, for the best tasting cantaloupe, make sure there is no stem attached. If they had to break the stem, the melon was not ready to pick. It should have an inny where the stem came off. If you are lucky, you can find a ripe melon--it will smell good and might be just slightly soft. Don't give up hope if you can't find one that is ready--purchase your melon, and leave it on the counter at home for a couple of days, until it is fragrant (in a good way!) and very slightly soft. Melon should not be crunchy!!

Last edited:
Ackkk! Now you tell me, Sparrowgrass.
I will wash the rind my next mellon, as this one has already been cut and some of it eaten. It *looked* clean, lol.
Actually, I won't actually wash it, I'll rinse it with water, like I do a lot of my veggies, fruits and herbs. I've never been sure if that is really doing anything or not though. Can a spray of water actually rinse off the nasties?

Yesterday I had to rummage all through the bin before I found a good bunch of cilantro. Who knows how many other people did the same before me? And then the cashier fumbled with it trying to find the code. Does a spray of water and a good shaking really do anything?
I should go look that up. I'm sure it's been talked about here.

And it was pretty good. I felt the dimple and picked one that wasn't too soft and not too hard either, because I couldn't remember what I was looking for :LOL: I picked a tweener.

In earlier discussions it has been suggested a dip in water with a small amount of bleach will sanitize greens and the exteriors of foods such as melons. Sounds good to me.

If you enjoy the taste of the melon, wait until later in the year to find a very ripe locally grown one and make a batch of ice cream. It is fantastic!

Pecanis,
I know you have a Ninja. I clean my cantaloupe and cut it in long wedges, I freeze part of it You can cut the cantaloupe frozen into 3/4 inch and place in the Ninja add 1 tablespoon sugar or Splenda and about 1 inch milk or cream .Do not fill the Ninja above the blades with cantaloupe makes about two cups and you know what is in it. and no waste when you buy a cantaloupe.

Josie

In earlier discussions it has been suggested a dip in water with a small amount of bleach will sanitize greens and the exteriors of foods such as melons. Sounds good to me.

Bleach? On food? Makes sense when I think about it. And it would rinse right off.
I wonder if dipping them in the neighbor's pool would have the same effect... :angel:

That said, do YOU dip all your produce in chlorinated water?

Thanks for the suggestions on the ice cream and smoothies. I was thinking ice cream or sorbet when PF mentioned sorbet. I might just make up a cantaloupe smoothie for lunch.

Bleach? On food? Makes sense when I think about it. And it would rinse right off.
I wonder if dipping them in the neighbor's pool would have the same effect... :angel:

That said, do YOU dip all your produce in chlorinated water?

Thanks for the suggestions on the ice cream and smoothies. I was thinking ice cream or sorbet when PF mentioned sorbet. I might just make up a cantaloupe smoothie for lunch.

Yes, dipping them in your neighbor's pool would do the trick. Pools are chlorinated to sanitize them.

I have used bleach on occasion but not usually.

I have used bleach on occasion but not usually.

That was my point.
Probably something that should be done, but the majority don't.
And then there are cities who pump chlorinated water to their customers... probably not enough to do any good against e colli on produce though.

Sparrowgrass has the right idea.

For the best cantaloupe in the pile, sniff the stem end. The best tasting will have a strong sweet smell like a melon perfume. If it's got that perfume, it will taste great.

'm coming in at the end here and didn't read all the posts,so here is what happens here. DH cuts the melon in half scoops ou the seeds and goop then he fills his half with vanilla ice cream and digs in he loves it this way. He leaves me a half but it's seldom that I get it. I lvoe it in salad or cut into bite sized pieces and mixed with avocado and cucumber and dressed with evoo and white balsamic,
kades

That's a great idea using it as an ice cream bowl, Kades.
Thanks!
It would probably be good with that whipped cream I made last night, too.

For disinfecting purposes...one capful of bleach to a gallon of water is the appropriate mixture. Dunk rinse and be happy!

As for buying cantaloupe and strawberries...If I walk by and can't smell them from three feet away, I don't even stop.

I love cantaloupe. My wife likes it sliced and cubed, and stored in bite-sized chunks, in tupperware bowls. I like to slice a single wedge from the melon, and simply scrape the seeds into the compost pile, along with the goop. I then eat it like I would a slice of watermelon, ice cold and yummy. To store the remaining melon, I simply place in a large ziplock bag, remove as much air as I can, and place in the fridge.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom