Cantaloupe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I bought a cantaloupe. I guess I had a mad taste for cantaloupe for breakfast tomorrow. So how do I keep it once it's cut into?
Can I just cut a wedge off as I feel like it? Do I need to separate it from the rind to make it last longer? Ziploc bag OK? What kind of shelf life do these things have once I start eating on it.
I can count the times I've boughten cantaloupe on one finger. And the times I've eaten it using both hands and one foot. I'm just not a big fruit eater. Being an impulse buyer though... I've got one in my refrigerator with my name on it :)

You will get about a week out of it, but I never have it around that long. My favorite way to do it is just slice it all up into bite sized pieces and store in a Tupperware in the fridge. If you want it by the slice then you can just slice as you go and store the unused portion in the fridge covered with plastic wrap.

Cool. Thanks, GB.
I remember liking to spoon it off the wedge. I'll eat what I can in a week's time, figuring I might not eat some everyday, and after seven days give the leftover (if there is any) to my chickens.
Just the info I was looking for.

I do mine the same way as GB in the bite size pieces and then just grab a bowl and munch on it while watching tv.

I've eaten it cut up before, but not often and would often pass it by if it was offered. I don't like cut up fruit for some reason. And loathe fruit cups, even though I like everything in them. Quirk, idiosyncrasy or something I guess.

Mom always just cut out a slice or two, removed all the seeds, and draped some plastic wrap over the cut edges and kept it in the fridge.

Lots and lots of seeds. Cut it melon in half. Take a big spoon and scoop out the seeds and goop. Use what you want then put the rest on the fridge covered in plastic.

Oh man... there's goop, too? :ohmy:

:LOL:

Thanks. I was just going to cut a wedge out, but I'll whack it in half and clean it all out now. I'm sure the hens will like the goop :)

pac, cut yourself a wedge, put away the spoon, slip on a bib, and gnaw away at the flesh. When the wedge rind remains, trim with knife into a smilie, grip with teeth in front of a mirror and take a pic.:D

I'd like to see some cantaloupe dessert recipes. I like it wrapped in prosciutto. I've always thought that cantaloupe might make for a good frozen treat of some kind...

I have tried grilling it and it is not worth it. There is way too much juice in it for the grill to really be able to work its magic.

Thanks. I can't imagine it being juicier than pineapple, but it is a mellon.

Maybe I've already tried it.

If you smoke melon in an apple do they cancel each other out?

pac, cut yourself a wedge, put away the spoon, slip on a bib, and gnaw away at the flesh. When the wedge rind remains, trim with knife into a smilie, grip with teeth in front of a mirror and take a pic.:D

I'd like to see some cantaloupe dessert recipes. I like it wrapped in prosciutto. I've always thought that cantaloupe might make for a good frozen treat of some kind...

Cantaloupe sorbet is fantastic!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom