Caramelized Peaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
A recipe from my MIL, in the UK. Mind you I dont understand some of this but maybe you will.

4 peaches from a 750g punnet(what the heck is that), halved and stoned ( Im guessing a package of pre- sliced peached halved and stoned?)

Brandy 4 tablespoons

demerara sugar 3 tablespoons (had to look that up, all natural sugar basically)

butter 15 g
star anise2, plus 2 as optional decoration
orange 1, zest and juice
semolina 40g
sugar 25g
semi-skimmed milk 568 ml (1 pint)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 200 c, 400 degrees F, gas mark 6 (wheww Im tired already lol)

2. Place the peaces in the base of a shallow, oven-proof dish, cut-side down. Pour over the brandy, sprinkle the demerara sugar and dot with butter.

3. Place 2 star anise on top, drizzle with the orange juice, and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.

4. Meanwhile ( get a cold one, just kidding:LOL: ), meanwhile, place the semolina, sugar, milk, and orange zest in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.

5. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally. Pour into a large bowl or individual bowls and allow to cool.

6. Remove peaches from the oven and skin them. Place on top of semolina, cut side up. Pass the juices from the cooked fruit through a sieve and drizzle over the top of the peaches. Decorate with star anise, if you like, and serve warm of chilled.

7. That it! Get another cold one!:mrgreen:

A punnet is a tray or small basket, usually plastic, in which things like strawberries are sold. If the recipe calls for 4 peaches, I don't see why you can't just use 4 peaches.

Demerara sugar is similar to raw (unrefined, not white) sugar, with very large grains. Use either raw sugar, or half white/half brown sugar instead.

In this recipe, somebody has mistranslated from imperial to metric. I'm fluent in both, having been brought up (to well into adulthood) on imperial, and having used metric for 40 years.

Where you read 25g, make it 30g or 1 oz. (So 15g is 1/2 oz - they got that right, at least!)
40g is supposed to be 45g, or 1 1/2 oz.
A pint is 600ml.

As Daisy said, a punnet is just a plastic container, the peaches are still fresh. So as Daisy said, you just use 4 peaches, halve them then remove the stone.

Back
Top Bottom