"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
Head Chef

Castelvetrano olives

I have fallen in love with these. Craig saw several varieties of olives on the 50% off clearance table at Publix a while back so he bought them. We had never tried some of them. One of them was a bright green olive. The brand was Flora and they were labeled La Siciliana. Did a little research and found they were castelvetrano olives. They have a lovely buttery, briny taste that is just yummy. You can snack on them with a hard cheese like parm or pecorino romano, with maybe some orange segments or use them in cooking. We used them last night in the oven braised chicken thighs with fennel, onion, tomatoes, the olives, etc. We also used them in a no-cook linguine with green olives and various other things that was in Bon Appetit in June.

If you like or love olives, give these a try for sure.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I have fallen in love with these. Craig saw several varieties of olives on the 50% off clearance table at Publix a while back so he bought them. We had never tried some of them. One of them was a bright green olive. The brand was Flora and they were labeled La Siciliana. Did a little research and found they were castelvetrano olives. They have a lovely buttery, briny taste that is just yummy. You can snack on them with a hard cheese like parm or pecorino romano, with maybe some orange segments or use them in cooking. We used them last night in the oven braised chicken thighs with fennel, onion, tomatoes, the olives, etc. We also used them in a no-cook linguine with green olives and various other things that was in Bon Appetit in June.

If you like or love olives, give these a try for sure.
I first tried them about 8 months back and fell in love with them. Other green olives have either very salty, or bitter notes. The castelvetrano olives were crunchy, with a more refined flavor, and buttery afternotes. Unfortunately, I can only get them with the pits in. I just serve them whole, and very cold, as a side dish. Unfortunately, they are a cullinary weakness of ine now. I could eat them like potato chips. I try to limit myself to 4 olives per serving, but it's very difficult as they are so tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I first tried them about 8 months back and fell in love with them. Other green olives have either very salty, or bitter notes. The castelvetrano olives were crunchy, with a more refined flavor, and buttery afternotes. Unfortunately, I can only get them with the pits in. I just serve them whole, and very cold, as a side dish. Unfortunately, they are a cullinary weakness of ine now. I could eat them like potato chips. I try to limit myself to 4 olives per serving, but it's very difficult as they are so tasty.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Yep, I could eat the whole jar. I go about 2 more than you though and try to go at least 2 days in between.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Always have a jar in the fridge or in the pantry. In fact, I always have olives on hand. Between olives and capers, both make any dish pop with flavor.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Are those the olives we get at Costco, in the plastic tub? The most beautiful shade of green, and a luscious flavor.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Are those the olives we get at Costco, in the plastic tub? The most beautiful shade of green, and a luscious flavor.
We don't go to Costco anymore since we started going to Restaurant Depot but here's a picture of them beurrista: braised chicken thighs with castelvetrano olives & toasted almonds and what looks like a pretty good recipe too.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
We don't go to Costco anymore since we started going to Restaurant Depot but here's a picture of them beurrista: braised chicken thighs with castelvetrano olives & toasted almonds and what looks like a pretty good recipe too.

Yep, those are the ones!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Master Chef

After reading the rave reviews here, I'm going to have to try those!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Castelvetrano olives

They were in the refrigerated section of our nearest Costco, Cheryl. I've never seen them in any of our local grocery stores. I did see them on Amazon with free shipping.

DH's brother first turned us on to them, the most beautiful color. Oh, and they taste like buttah!
Old 09-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
Master Chef

Darn, I was just at Costco. Might be a while before I get there again, but they're on my list now! Yes, they ARE a pretty green.

Tags
briny, buttery, green, olives