"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 07-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
This information comes from the dole pineapple plantation in Hawaii.

Pineapples will get softer after picking, but not any sweeter or riper, so you want to pick the ripest one, that isn't starting to go bad. A pineapple with a strong smelling bottom can indicate that fermentation is starting to take place. That pineapple is starting to go bad. The color doesn't necessarily mean anything. Pineapples start to turn gold when they are ripe, but fully ripe pineapples can still have green on them, and the leaf thing doesn't indicate much except possibly how long it's been sitting on the shelf. Here is how pickers tell if the pineapple is ripe: as a pineapple grows, the little round eyes on the outside are bigger at the bottom and smaller at the top. When a pineapple is perfectly ripe, these eyes are going to be all the same size. THAT is how to find the sweetest ones. So same size eyes on the outside, and one that doesn't have a strong smell is your best bet.
Thanks!I will start going by that

Old 07-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Olfactory & Aromas

Buonasera,

My Grandmom had told me long ago, "never buy a fruit or vegetable that doesn´t exhibit its fragrance to you" ... She added, "And never buy anything without using your olfactory".

Ciao.
Kind regards,
Margi.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I think, if they are a bit green it is no harm to buy them. They should not be all over dark green though.

The things to avoid in my opinion are ones with soft brown coloured bits on them. Otherwise, I dont think it is so easy to make a mistake. Some might be riper than others, but I think they can cover a range of ripenes stages and still taste good.

Mel
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I also avoid pineapples with overly soft spots. Pressing on skin should flex it a bit but should not be really soft and squishy.

I'm surprised that the leaf pull test works for me but nobody else. I get perfect pineapples every time. (I get mine at Asian markets. I wonder if they have suppliers different than mainstream supermarkets.)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
Master Chef

I use the leaf pull test, too. It's always a little tough to pull out, but if I really have to work at it I'll choose another one. And I also agree that the bottom line is the nose knows - if I can smell pineapple, it's good, and I've rarely been disappointed.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

If most pineapples are decent and the leaves pull out of most decent pineapples, chances are good you'll get a good one. Even if it's not an accurate indicator, it's going to be right some of the time. Besides, you never know if the pineapple you didn't pick because the leaves stayed in is much better.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

My method: Choose a few good looking pineapples, and try to pick one up by one of the middling leaves. If I can pick up the pineapple by its leaf I pick another one. If the leaf pulls out I buy that pineapple.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If most pineapples are decent and the leaves pull out of most decent pineapples, chances are good you'll get a good one. Even if it's not an accurate indicator, it's going to be right some of the time. Besides, you never know if the pineapple you didn't pick because the leaves stayed in is much better.
Or.. don't confuse correlation with causation.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I was going to say that but decided to be verbose and indirect instead.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I agree. Most pineapples you buy are going to be fairly decent, so any method you use is going to get you a decent pineapple, but I go by the info I got at the pineapple plantation. Makes the most sense to me anyway. I got to see pineapples that weren't ripe, and the size difference of the little eyes on the outside was very obvious.

Another tip for fresh pineapple is to rinse it after you cut it. The pineapple creates acid as a defense mechanism when you cut it, so if you rinse that off, it won't burn your lips and tongue :)

Tags
pineapple