Cute fruit..the Kiwi Berry.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I never heard of them before picking up a basket recently and now I'm hooked. Apparently they are something fairly new and they're delicious just like a larger fuzzy Kiwi, only "fuzzless" and a lot more convenient like other berries.
Imagine them cut in half and mixed with other berries!
Anyway, they are in season right now so if you see them, don't hesitate!
I'm I the last one to know about them?
https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a53965/what-are-kiwi-berries/

Attachments

• kiwi-berries.1024x1024.jpg
    kiwi-berries.1024x1024.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 566
Let me guess, they are available at your local Whole Paycheck Market or Mugger Joe's, for the price of caviar?

CD

Haaa...glad you asked. :ROFLMAO:I got them at the dollar store where I buy nearly all my produce. Yep, they were a buck and I drove all the way back to buy lots more.

Wow... but there are no dollar stores near me. I'm surprised we even have a Walmart in town.

CD

As a kiwi we grew up with these but called them Chinese gooseberries. I don't know when it changed to kiwi fruit but I guess someone in marketing had a hand in it. I love them. My grandkids eat them all the time.

Russ

As a kiwi we grew up with these but called them Chinese gooseberries. I don't know when it changed to kiwi fruit but I guess someone in marketing had a hand in it. I love them. My grandkids eat them all the time.

Russ

Kind of like Chilean Sea Bass, a pricey fish that is neither Chilean, nor a bass. It was previously known as toothfish, a type of cod. Marketing makes/ruins everything.

I sadly remember the days when flat-iron steak was dirt cheap. Now it rivals choice ribeye for cost per pound.

If these mini-kiwis get popular, say goodbye to dollar store prices. You should keep quiet about them, KL. Keep them under the marketing radar. :cool: :LOL:

CD

Last edited:
Oh, here we go; ol' Hemmingway is back.

Toothfish, really? Do they have little fish dentists?

Dr Patagonia, DDS, I guess.

He's got a nice practice, drives an SL. Quite a catch.

Oh, here we go; ol' Hemmingway is back.

Toothfish, really? Do they have little fish dentists?

Dr Patagonia, DDS, I guess.

He's got a nice practice, drives an SL. Quite a catch.

Did I hit a nerve (yes, a dentist pun)?

Are you a Chilean Sea Bass fan?

CD

Let me guess, they are available at your local Whole Paycheck Market or Mugger Joe's, for the price of caviar?
"Mugger Joe"s"? Never heard it called that, CD. Certainly you aren't calling it that because the prices are high, because that hasn't been our experience with the TJ's around here.

"Mugger Joe"s"? Never heard it called that, CD. Certainly you aren't calling it that because the prices are high, because that hasn't been our experience with the TJ's around here.

Just being my smarta** self. :ermm::LOL:

I don't shop at Trader Joe's, unless I happen to be near the one in Plano (I try not to go to Plano, if I can help it) for other reasons. The few times I've been there, I haven't found anything that screamed "buy me."

TJ's is to me just another trendy place to buy stuff I don't need. Every few years, I go to REI for something (camping stuff), and TJ's is in the same building, so I go there. Most of the time, I leave with nothing.

A lot of people love Trader Joe's... I guess "I didn't get the memo," as they say.

Don't love it or hate it... just, meh.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Just being my smarta** self. :ermm::LOL:...
And we wouldn't have it any other way...most of the time. :D

We've found some of their private label stuff is the same as the grocery store product we like - but at a lower price. One Ex - Annie's Goddess Dressing is $3.99+ in grocery stores, but TJ's (in the same, exact bottle, but with their label) is $2.19. Himself likes their version of Cheerio's better than the real one (same with Aldi Rice Crispies and Chex cereals). There are other things we know are cheaper at TJ's (capers), or the only place we can find a certain something, but we either have to have a long list to make a special, 25-mile trip up (and then back) or have to be in the area for other reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ
Yes, "Chinese Gooseberries" in GB when I first had one in the 1950s. Our greengrocer knew my mother's penchant for trying new things and used to throw the odd free "newbie" into the box of fruit and veg she ordered every week. (The avocado he sent once didn't go down well at all - I now realise that it wasn't ripe enough!).

Kiwi's are available all year round in UK. Apparently they are prized for their "keeping" abilities so travel well. Not expensive either - the ones I bought last week were 4 for a £1 ($1.30-ish) so 5 "bob" each (ie 25pence in modern British parlance). Mind you they were labelled "Produce of Italy" so not exactly "Kiwi".

Very rich in vitamin C. Possible health benefits are said to include maintaining healthy skin tone & texture, reducing blood pressure and preventing heart disease & stroke. No wonder New Zealanders look so healthy!

Last edited:
And we wouldn't have it any other way...most of the time. :D

We've found some of their private label stuff is the same as the grocery store product we like - but at a lower price. One Ex - Annie's Goddess Dressing is $3.99+ in grocery stores, but TJ's (in the same, exact bottle, but with their label) is $2.19. Himself likes their version of Cheerio's better than the real one (same with Aldi Rice Crispies and Chex cereals). There are other things we know are cheaper at TJ's (capers), or the only place we can find a certain something, but we either have to have a long list to make a special, 25-mile trip up (and then back) or have to be in the area for other reasons.

Exactly. The closest TJ's to me is about 10-15 miles from me, but it is in Plano, which means it will take me 30 minutes, each way, and may cost me a $200 ticket for driving 36 in a 35MPH zone.

CD

The only reason I shop at TJ's at least once or twice per week is because we have several of them, all very close. I mostly pick up wine and snack items.
Now, if I had to travel 30 minutes to get to one I probably wouldn't shop there.

My daughter shops at TJ's. Then she uses their strong shopping bags to send food to me. Thanks TJ. Those bags come in handy for so many things. Like transporting my empty med cards back to Winthrop.

Back
Top Bottom