"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, why would they grow apples in a desert? They need plenty of water to make them juicy? I don't know about decades ago, but currently it looks like all apple production is in the western half of the state.

https://maps.google.com/maps?espv=2&...=classic&dg=oo
CG, if you look at the map, pick up I90 right at Seattle, go over the Cascades, come down on the other side, head south to Yakima and you will be in the heart of commercial apple orchards. Yakima is right in the desert. There is a major army base also in that area for training desert fighting. It is where we always heading for apple picking. When you first come out of the mountains, you are in hops country. Another major crop for that part of the state. The apple orchards get plenty of water from the snow runoff of the mountains. Plenty of irrigation. I not went over those mountains for apple picking but to stay at my girlfriends in Spokane with is further east than Yakima.

When I was managing an apartment complex in Spanway, I rented only to soldiers from Fort Lewis. At least twice each Fall the soldiers there would have to go to Yakima for training. I hated and loved when they came back. They came back with everything they owned covered in sand and dust that screwed up the washers and boxes of apples. Guess which one I hated and which one I loved.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
One winter, several years ago, I found some Quebec grown, organic apples called Ambrosia. The name was accurate. Such yummy apples and of course, haven't found them since. They were a pretty pink and yellow apple.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Last night I watched a show from NZ called 'Border Security'.
An older couple from the UK were detained and their luggage was checked. The old wife had put one orange in the old man's carry-on. They were fined $450.
A couple of minutes later an old couple from Canada were detained and their luggage was checked. One of them had put one green apple in a carry-on. They were fined $450!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Delicious Apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Last night I watched a show from NZ called 'Border Security'.

An older couple from the UK were detained and their luggage was checked. The old wife had put one orange in the old man's carry-on. They were fined $450.

A couple of minutes later an old couple from Canada were detained and their luggage was checked. One of them had put one green apple in a carry-on. They were fined $450!

This does not surprise me. There is a fruit sniffing beagle at the airport where we fly in to Mexico. I haven't seen anyone getting fined, they just take your fruit away.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

We were stopped at the California - Oregon border (heading into California) and had the car checked more than when crossing back from Canada. The agent found a piece of fruit. We ate it before crossing the border. That would have been in 1962, when my parents took on vacation to the Seattle World's Fair.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We were stopped at the California - Oregon border (heading into California) and had the car checked more than when crossing back from Canada. The agent found a piece of fruit. We ate it before crossing the border. That would have been in 1962, when my parents took on vacation to the Seattle World's Fair.
This doesn't surprise me. I had heard stories when I lived in Tacoma that you get stopped at the borders of Washington State. But at the time it didn't make sense to me. It seems Washington State wanted to protect their apple crop from being grown elsewhere. So they were stopping folks at the border from buying apples there and transporting them out of state. The people in Olympia were afraid that folks would plant the seeds elsewhere. So why did they ship them all over the country. Someone didn't think that through very well. When I mentioned that I just got a look of "You smart ass."
Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
This doesn't surprise me. I had heard stories when I lived in Tacoma that you get stopped at the borders of Washington State. But at the time it didn't make sense to me. It seems Washington State wanted to protect their apple crop from being grown elsewhere. So they were stopping folks at the border from buying apples there and transporting them out of state. The people in Olympia were afraid that folks would plant the seeds elsewhere. So why did they ship them all over the country. Someone didn't think that through very well. When I mentioned that I just got a look of "You smart ass."
The California search was for any produce coming into California. Raw produce might have pests that could endanger agriculture.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There was a big discussion on another forum about folks trying to take wrapped cheese, like Velveeta, into Mexico. Some are able to get away with it, some get it confiscated, others have gotten fined. My Laughing Cow Swiss wheel package arrived just fine, even though we got the "red button" at Customs and had our luggage searched.

I got my orange confiscated while going through customs at the Canadian border many years ago. A good family friend had to eat all his beloved garlic sausage when trying to cross back from Canada into the US during the Mad Cow disease scare as they told him he couldn't bring it in.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The California search was for any produce coming into California. Raw produce might have pests that could endanger agriculture.
That certainly makes more sense than the reason I was given. I liked the title of "Smart Ass."
Old 04-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
There was a big discussion on another forum about folks trying to take wrapped cheese, like Velveeta, into Mexico. Some are able to get away with it, some get it confiscated, others have gotten fined. My Laughing Cow Swiss wheel package arrived just fine, even though we got the "red button" at Customs and had our luggage searched.

I got my orange confiscated while going through customs at the Canadian border many years ago. A good family friend had to eat all his beloved garlic sausage when trying to cross back from Canada into the US during the Mad Cow disease scare as they told him he couldn't bring it in.
Yet we ship our produce over both borders and even overseas.

Tags
apple, apples, other