"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 04-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Delicious Apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Yet we ship our produce over both borders and even overseas.

Silly, isn't it? Though I understand. Much of our limes are imported from Mexico.

There's an agriculture form to be filled out on the plane asking if you'd been on a farm lately. They don't want any infestations of fungus or bacteria.

My ratty looking home-grown, organic, apple maggot infested, apple scaled apples likely wouldn't make it across any borders, and that's fine. They still taste good!

Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #32
Master Chef

Tried the Ambrosia variety. The one I had was very firm, juicy, and crispy, but may have been over-watered as the flavor wasn't as strong as I like. Even so, it was a good apple - meaty, heavy, and crisp.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:44 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Tried the Ambrosia variety. The one I had was very firm, juicy, and crispy, but may have been over-watered as the flavor wasn't as strong as I like. Even so, it was a good apple - meaty, heavy, and crisp.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
I only had them the one time. We grow a lot of apples in Quebec. Unfortunately, for apple consumers, they seem to be mostly going to the more lucrative ice cider (alcoholic, of course) production.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #34
Master Chef

Ambrosia is a good Apple. Not cheap. As far as planting seeds to grow an apple tree, that is probably not realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 04-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #35
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I live in eastern WA and it's been interesting to watch the Apple Biz change over the past few years. Most growers have uprooted their red and golden delicious trees - there is very little market for these apples and the best of the bunch are shipped over seas. I swear we get the dregs in the local grocery stores and so most of us purchase apples at farmers markets or direct from the growers.

Fresh off the tree the Delicious varieties really are wonderful but in cold storage, they lose flavor and turn mealy, the thick skins on the reds are a turn off as well. A golden delicious apple still makes the best apple pies I've ever had - loads of flavor and not very watery, the slices hang together with great tender texture in a pie. YUM.

The best apples now around here imo are honey crisps, cripps pink (pink ladies), Jazz, Pacific rose and a few of the new varieties.

Here's a nice rundown of the characteristics of these varieties: Apple Varieties :: Washington State Apple Commission
Old 04-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #36
Master Chef

I understand that in both Michigan, and Washington, many apple orchards are being replaced with grape vines, as wine is more popular than are apples. To me, that is a very sad thing, as I love apples, and really don't like wine. And the grape vines aren't farmed because the farmers love the grapes, it's just more profitable.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I understand that in both Michigan, and Washington, many apple orchards are being replaced with grape vines, as wine is more popular than are apples. To me, that is a very sad thing, as I love apples, and really don't like wine. And the grape vines aren't farmed because the farmers love the grapes, it's just more profitable.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Unfortunately for them, children can eat the apples, and are not allowed to drink wine. Whereas both adults and children can eat apples. So they lose a whole segment of the population.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:47 PM   #38
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
I To me, that is a very sad thing, as I love apples, and really don't like wine.
Apples are ok, but I like hard cider much better than wine, especially wine made from grapes.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Apples are ok, but I like hard cider much better than wine, especially wine made from grapes.
Have to buy it in the liquor in this state.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #40
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have to buy it in the liquor in this state.
Same here. No alcohol of any kind (except that cooking stuff and Nyquil et al.) outside of a liquor store here.

Tags
apple, apples, other