"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 03-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Delicious Apples

I don't usually like red apples - find them woolly and dull in flavour. However, I was going to make a fruit salad the other day and wanted red apples to add colour (I don't peel them). The red apples I bought were called "Red Delicious" - "Oh yeah!" I thought to myself "I've heard that before".

One thing led to another and the fruit salad didn't get made so I ate one of the apples today. I was amazed at how crisp and sweet and tasty it was. It had a sticky label on it with writing so small I needed both my reading glasses and a magnifying glass to read it and I was still struggling.

It turns out they were from Washington, USA (The state I think, not Mr Obama's garden ). More please!

I think I've had them before under the name of "Washington Reds" but I've not seen them under that name for a long time - I thought you must be keeping them all for yourselves! Perhaps they've had a name change for the UK market so they don't appear at first glance to be "foreign". There's a big push at the moment to promote English apples such as Cox's Orange Pippin and Egremont Russets (which are lovely apples) and we've started growing the lovely Braeburn apple which I think came from New Zealand originally.

Your "Red Delicious" growers really should be pushing them more. I think people would snap them up. We have masses of horrible tasteless apples foisted on us from France, including varieties such as Braeburn and Granny Smiths that are lovely when grown elsewhere. I think they must grow them specially for us in revenge for the battle of Waterloo because no self-respecting Frenchman or woman would touch them with a barge pole!

I'll be marking your Red Delicious down on my list next to South African Granny Smiths, New Zealand Braeburns and English Cox's on my list of favourite apples.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Delicious Apples

Red Delicious here used to be delicious, then, as with cocker spaniels, the growers bred the brains out of them. For many years, they've been mealy and tasteless for the sake of long storage.

I'm pleased that you were able to find some good ones, MC! Washington state is well known for its great apples.

We usually buy Braeburns here, they have a nice flavor and crunch. I also have a horribly neglected apple tree of questionable parentage that is totally organic (part of being totally neglected) but produces some awesome apples when you cut out the insect damage. It also didn't get the word that it's only supposed to produce a bumper crop every few years. Every October I'm up to my armpits in apples.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Red Delicious here used to be delicious, then, as with cocker spaniels, the growers bred the brains out of them. For many years, they've been mealy and tasteless for the sake of long storage.

I'm pleased that you were able to find some good ones, MC! Washington state is well known for its great apples.

We usually buy Braeburns here, they have a nice flavor and crunch. I also have a horribly neglected apple tree of questionable parentage that is totally organic (part of being totally neglected) but produces some awesome apples when you cut out the insect damage. It also didn't get the word that it's only supposed to produce a bumper crop every few years. Every October I'm up to my armpits in apples.
Perhaps it a reversal of the French apple thing and the growers in US are exporting the good ones and saving the duds for the home market.

Lucky you with your tree. I have two ancient apple trees in the garden of this house - they were about 30 years old when my parents moved into the house in the 1960s. They aren't doing so well at the moment. Little blossom and no apples last summer. I need to read up about it and see what I can do with it. A good dose of well rotted horse do-do might be a good start.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

I think I have bought those at Costco and they weren't good . I now get British apples in with my veg box I have delivered each week .

Where did you buy them from MC ?
Old 03-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I think I have bought those at Costco and they weren't good . I now get British apples in with my veg box I have delivered each week .

Where did you buy them from MC ?
Morrison's supermarket. I was in a hurry and off my usual beaten track otherwise I'd have gone to the proper greengrocers in the village.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Head Chef

Ah and I don't know about you but I was tempted by how nice they looked (but mine were all show and no taste ) . That was a while back and now I am buying British and/or Fairtrade produce.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I first came across golden delicious and red delicious apples, back in the 50s or 60s, they really lived up to the delicious part of the name. However, nowadays, they are mostly tough skinned, mealy, and lacking in flavour. The distinctive shape is the only thing that remains the same. I did buy a single organic one recently and it was yummy, like they used to be.

I think they got so popular that they wanted to increase production and didn't care about anything but the shape.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Master Chef

A little red house with no doors, no windows and a star inside!

Apple Story
Old 03-28-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I first came across golden delicious and red delicious apples, back in the 50s or 60s, they really lived up to the delicious part of the name. However, nowadays, they are mostly tough skinned, mealy, and lacking in flavour. The distinctive shape is the only thing that remains the same. I did buy a single organic one recently and it was yummy, like they used to be.

I think they got so popular that they wanted to increase production and didn't care about anything but the shape.
I think Golden Delicious are horrible. As someone on the radio once said - "They contravene the Trades Description Act, being neither golden nor delicious".

They are one of the rubbish apples we get from France.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I think Golden Delicious are horrible. As someone on the radio once said - "They contravene the Trades Description Act, being neither golden nor delicious".

They are one of the rubbish apples we get from France.
As I wrote, golden delicious were wonderful, long ago. What you have tasted in golden delicious is the same thing that happened to red delicious.

Tags
apple, apples, other