"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #91
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Eating avocado - are you supposed to mix it with something or cook it from raw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Yup, Pumpernick's is gone from Hallandale. Wolfie's - gone, Rascal House - gone and Corky's - gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Good ole days goon too.
I loved Wolfies, Pumpernicks and the rest of the jewish inspired/owned restaurants in Miami and surrounding communities.

Did you ever know Myers Subs on 146th and NW 7th ave N. Miami?
The sandwiches were piled so high, I used to ask for two extra slices of rye bread with mustard on them. Split the pastrami on rye with someone.
They never charged me for the extra two slices!
Maybe a Private conversation through PM as this is way off topic.

Thank you!

Old 10-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #92
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Welcome to DC! Despite many claims of what will work, none have ever worked for us. Avocados take several days to ripen after being picked. My best suggestion is to press on the stem end. If it gives a little then it is probably good to go. If you have Hass avocados, the skin will turn brown when they ripen.
You have misunderstood my question. I was asking what to do with the avocado if it turns out to be not ripe after you have cut it open.

Gillian

Old 10-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #93
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Very interesting, but I don't think my husband or I would fancy pickled avocado.

Problem is, when you cut open an avocado with the intention of mashing and spreading it on toast, then eating same toast immediately, you're not going to want to wait 2 hours for the avocado to pickle so that it will be ready for you to eat.

Gillian
Old 10-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #94
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There really isn't a fix for an unripe avocado that's been cut open, you can try to save it with a slice of apple in a plastic bag, but it still would not be ready to eat right away. I think folks were just trying to help you with knowing when they were ripe so it doesn't happen to you again.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #95
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
There really isn't a fix for an unripe avocado that's been cut open, you can try to save it with a slice of apple in a plastic bag, but it still would not be ready to eat right away. I think folks were just trying to help you with knowing when they were ripe so it doesn't happen to you again.
Plus 1.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #96
Senior Cook

One of you can have my share of avocados.
People love taking me to Mexican restaurants. They know they will get twice the guacamole or avocados.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #97
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
Very interesting, but I don't think my husband or I would fancy pickled avocado.

Problem is, when you cut open an avocado with the intention of mashing and spreading it on toast, then eating same toast immediately, you're not going to want to wait 2 hours for the avocado to pickle so that it will be ready for you to eat.

Gillian
It's called "live and learn" GA. Buy another one, and wait till it's ripe for opening.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:50 AM   #98
Master Chef

To save an unripe avocado that has been cut open, leave the pit in on one side. Sprinkle a little lemon, or lime juice on the flesh and place both halves into a freezer zipper bag. Suck all of the air out, or as much as possible and place in the fridge. Wait a couple days for the fruit to ripen. It will ripen faster at room temperature, but may turn brown as it was exposed to air. But if it's sealed so that the air is completely removed, it should ripen and still be good.

It's best to purchase your avocadoes a couple of days before you plan to use them, if you can't find them already ripe at the market. If you purchase ripe avocadoes at the market (the skin should compress slightly when you gently squeeze the fruit), you will need to use it that day, or the next, as they become over-ripe very quickly.

That's all the advice I can give you as the humble, or magnificent avocado needs to be eaten when ripe, not before or after.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:09 AM   #99
Head Chef

Those packets that absorb gasses. Why don't they sell that material cheap, in packet form, that you toss into gallon ziplock bags? Why is that stuff so expensive? Marketing and all?

About talking freshness...if bags of lettuce and other like items are packaged using nitrogen, then why not advance that simple technology? A shot of nitrogen gas into a ziplock. No? lol.

And yes GC, a plastic pouch of peeled eggs sealed with nitrogen does last a month, if unopened.
After the nitrogen escapes, they spoil fast, of course. I even posted how the yolk starts forcing its way out the side of the egg after opening....if not wrapped tightly.. lol. Anyone figure out why that happens?

A nitrogen gadget. Do you think we might see that sometime on QVC? I do.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Those packets that absorb gasses. Why don't they sell that material cheap, in packet form, that you toss into gallon ziplock bags? Why is that stuff so expensive? Marketing and all?
You mean like these? They don't seem very expensive to me. http://www.amazon.com/Bluapple-2-pac.../dp/B005W6DRNY

Tags
cook, eating