Eating avocado - are you supposed to mix it with something or cook it from raw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello.

I just joined the community, seems to be a nice place. I use avocados to make guacamole.
I have yet to try avocado smoothie, which I have heard is really good. I agree it is terrible on its own so it's better to mix it up with other ingredients.

Hello.

I just joined the community, seems to be a nice place. I use avocados to make guacamole.

Just curious, what do you mix with it to make your guacamole?
Mayo? :LOL: I'm referring to my reply post that mentioned using Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise.
Maybe neither?

Last edited:
I use neither...just mashed avocado with lime juice, chopped onions, a little cilantro, and sometimes some chopped tomatoes. If nothing else, at least a little citrus juice (either lime or lemon juice) is necessary to keep the avocado from turning brown, which happens fast without it.

Welcome, Shazia!

Last edited:
File pic of my doctored up guacamole, with pico de gallo and fried corn tortillas. Delicious dinner on a hot summer evening. :yum:

Attachments

• guacamole and salsa.jpg
    guacamole and salsa.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 250
File pic of my doctored up guacamole, with pico de gallo and fried corn tortillas. Delicious dinner on a hot summer evening. :yum:

That's just beautiful Cheryl, and I agree with your proper way to make Guacamole, although I add garlic powder and chopped fresh jalapeno. I also prefer the avocado chunked rather than mashed, but that's just me. Mayo/MW would never be used.

Last edited:
I use neither...just mashed avocado with lime juice, chopped onions, a little cilantro, and sometimes some chopped tomatoes. If nothing else, at least a little citrus juice (either lime or lemon juice) is necessary to keep the avocado from turning brown, which happens fast without it.

Welcome, Shazia!

As stated in an earlier post, I lived in San Diego for 10 years, before the chain taco places took over. There wer lots of Mom & Pop Mexican restaurants back then, and the food was some of the best ever. The guacamole I learned to make was like yours, smashed, ripe avocados, lemon juice, a little finely chopped tomato, some freshly minced cilantro, and a touch of either Tabasco Sauce, or minced jalapenos. I had several Hispanic friends, and one Hispanic girl freind (before I met DW), and they all made their guacamole the same way. Only, they made lots of it. One of my friends added beer to his version. I didn't care for it much as I don't like the flavor of beer. But no one ever added Miracle Whip, or mayo. It just wasn't authentic and would dilute the flavor of the avocado.

I've been known to take a good avocado to work, cut it in half, and just slice it up alongside freshly sliced tomato, a little S&P and call it lunch. And to think, the first time I tried it, I detested both the flavor and texture. It sure grew on me fast though. Thank you San Diego, and all of my friends down there.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Just to clarify my post. I like avo and mayo but I don't call it guac. There's no place for mayo in guac IMO.

Oh yeah, chopped jalapenos, forgot to mention them above - they're always in my guacamole. I just checked and I'm out, need to add them to the list.

Andy, sometimes I'll spread a thin layer of mayo on an avocado sandwich, too. And when I have sliced avos on a BLT, mayo is always in there. I'm with you that mayo and avo has it's place, just not in guac.

I have learned a few things about buying avocados while working in a Tex-Mex restaurant and as a shopper for a catering company. For the record, I hate buying anything with a stone for the catering company. It takes forever to select the quantity needed that are ripe enough to finish ripening in 2-4 days. What I have learned: (1) the darker, the riper. The shiny green ones are not as ripe. (2) Pushing down on the "stem" spot it should give, but not too much. (3) Gentle squeeze on the fattest part of a the avocado a little give but not too much. Putting them in a black garbage bag at room temperature (we get ours in boxes, so the whole box goes in) ripens them faster than putting them in brown paper bags at room temperature. You have to check them daily. Once ripened, if you are not going to use them, you can hold them for 2-3 days in the fridge in their boxes (not covered or bagged).

Putting them in a black garbage bag at room temperature (we get ours in boxes, so the whole box goes in) ripens them faster than putting them in brown paper bags at room temperature.

I'm guessing here, but it would make sense that they would ripen faster in plastic than in paper, as the paper would allow some of the ethylene gas to escape. Any kind of plastic bag should work for the home cook. I was under the impression that paper was recommended to allow some breathing, just as you wouldn't store mushrooms in plastic.

I bought some avacados a couple of days ago, and they ripened in 36 hours in a brown paper bag. I've had some in the past that took almost 3 days.

I forgot that I add avocado to Massaman Chicken curry. Really good stuff.:yum:

...I bought some avacados a couple of days ago, and they ripened in 36 hours in a brown paper bag. I've had some in the past that took almost 3 days.

Ripening time also depends on the avocado's level of ripeness when you bring it home.

Having an avocado tree on your property must be so damned cool. I don't :neutral:

Like manna from heaven, hanging from a tree.

Manna via squirrel, half eaten before it falls from the tree was more like it!:ROFLMAO:
Them things sure don't like being hit with plastic pellets, but they still came back and sometimes they would tell you off!:ohmy:

Manna via squirrel, half eaten before it falls from the tree was more like it!:ROFLMAO:
Them things sure don't like being hit with plastic pellets, but they still came back and sometimes they would tell you off!:ohmy:

I'm thinking you could dust the tree with powdered cayenne pepper. Since the skins aren't eaten, the inside fruit would be unaffected.

Maybe a pepper spray would work.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom