"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I bet they're really good with that Tajin seasoning...
Oh Yeah!!!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #32
Master Chef

Ooh, I bet they would be good with Tajin! I still need to get some of that.

I love them sprinkled with a little lime juice and Penzey's Arizona Dreaming, and just scooped and eaten out of their own little boat.

Also....diced and mixed in scrambled eggs, in burritos, wraps, salads, mashed and spread on toast, and of course, guacamole. I didn't care for them when I first tried them many decades ago, but they grow on ya. Out here they're on so many menus.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Supposedly, Miracle Whip dressing instead of mayo when making avo sandwiches.
That's only if you like Miracle Whip Caslon. Not for me!!

However, I can vouch for Tajin being excellent on avocado!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #34
Head Chef

Salad dressing instead of mayo because mayo is said to almost neutralize the avocado taste when mixed together. I personally don't like Miracle whip salad dressing either.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Thanks for all the sharing! Some good, new ideas!
Old 09-19-2015, 01:22 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'll have to try that with some Sriracha Dawg. My favorite way with a half avocado in the shell is to sprinkle on some garlic powder, and fill the hole with bottled seafood cocktail sauce.

Don't pinch an avocado. Hold it in your hand and gently apply pressure to test for the perfect ripeness. The only thing worse than an under ripe avocado is one that's over ripe.
And don't dig your thumb into it. You just bruise the avocado. If enough people have pressed their thumbs into an avocado it will feel soft even though it isn't ripe. Yup, use your whole hand to feel if it is soft.

Once when I was at the supermarket, I saw a woman pressing an avocado with her thumb. I blurted out, "Don't do that! It just bruises the avocado." I was mortified when I realized that I had used my outside voice. She asked, "Then how should I do it?" I explained the whole hand method and sighed with relief that she wasn't mad at me.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
And don't dig your thumb into it. You just bruise the avocado. If enough people have pressed their thumbs into an avocado it will feel soft even though it isn't ripe. Yup, use your whole hand to feel if it is soft.

Once when I was at the supermarket, I saw a woman pressing an avocado with her thumb. I blurted out, "Don't do that! It just bruises the avocado." I was mortified when I realized that I had used my outside voice. She asked, "Then how should I do it?" I explained the whole hand method and sighed with relief that she wasn't mad at me.
You gave me the giggles with using "your outside voice"..I bet she jumped. The green groceries daughter here, gets down right annoyed with what goes on in the produce section too. I know people look at me strange when I smell fruit, but if a peach for example, doesn't smell like a peach, it will not taste like a peach! It will taste like wet nothing. The same is true for many fruits. Avocado's don't smell like anything however.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:49 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

I took me a while to warm up to avocado, but it is really healthy and full of healthy fats and I really enjoy it. I've found that I love it best with sushi, particularly in nori rolls where you combine the avocado with some smoked salmon. Combine the healthy fats of the avocado with the omega 3 oils of the salmon and you've got something pretty healthy as well. Plus, it tastes awesome!!! I could eat it all day, as I find the two really seem to complement each other interns of tastes and texture.

Just my two cents worth....
Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 AM   #39
Head Chef

Paprika goes so well on a ripened avocado half. One of the few times I put that much paprika on anything.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh Yeah!!!
You can have my share. I have tried several times and just cannot get used to the taste or texture.

Tags
cook, eating