Eating avocado - are you supposed to mix it with something or cook it from raw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My neighbour told me that she saw a squirrel frantically scratching it's eyes after getting hot pepper in them from its hands. :(

Hot pepper oils in eyes (and other places that are sensitive, no more info than that); me too. That's where I got the idea from. Very unpleasant, but gone in about 15 minutes.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Unfortunately, me moved and have the tree no more but gained a mango tree, which sadly we gave pretty much every one of them away because I am allergic, mouth and tongue go numb and tingly whenever I eat anything with mango. Also, I itch to death when the pollen touches me I learned, which is bad since it's in the backyard where I take the pug puppies out. Had to start wearing shoes because my feet and ankles were driving me crazy with the itching. The REALLY bad thing about it is I do love the taste of ripe mangos, they just don't love me. We also had the squirrels, just not as bad as with the avos.

Last edited:
It's painful, but it does wear off and doesn't leave permanent damage. I've done that myself after working with hot peppers.

I've done that a few times myself, and with the capsaicin ointment for sore joints as well. That stuff stays on the skin for a LONG time. You can wash your hands well after application, but if you forget and touch (rub) your joint (knees in my case), then touch your eyes, lips, etc, OH BABY look out!

I've done that a few times myself, and with the capsaicin ointment for sore joints as well. That stuff stays on the skin for a LONG time. You can wash your hands well after application, but if you forget and touch (rub) your joint (knees in my case), then touch your eyes, lips, etc, OH BABY look out!

I should buy some more Noxzema. The first time it happened, the pain was so bad I called my doctor's office and they suggested rubbing my hands with Noxzema. It worked!

I should buy some more Noxzema. The first time it happened, the pain was so bad I called my doctor's office and they suggested rubbing my hands with Noxzema. It worked!

I did not know that. Haven't used Noxema since I was in high school, a few eons ago.

Last edited:
I predict the sales of Noxema are going to hit the roof because of pepper loving DC Members.

I worked at and visited properties where the lessee had a 30 year old avocado tree growing next to small rear house. An avocado tree growing outside their kitchen window, nice!

In my suburban setting, with close together properties, just one avocado tree is planted, almost for decorative purposes, like the similar looking magnolia tree, which is also nice to look at.

With all the bored pet cats around the neighborhood, I don't see squirrels or any other vermin eating the avocados, maybe so in a more suburban-rural type setting.

You people are a treasure, empathy on what might relieve mr.squirrel when he gets it in his eyes. :LOL:

Last edited:
My step-daughter got me hooked on avacados. I like guacamole, but can eat it cubed with some lime juice. When we make guacomole we mix in some sour cream if we have it on hand. Never tried mayo.

Each time I go to the store I buy 1 avacado, so I always have one ripening on the counter so I can have one every few days. I have 2 right now. Not ripe yet.

I'm thinking you could dust the tree with powdered cayenne pepper. Since the skins aren't eaten, the inside fruit would be unaffected.

Maybe a pepper spray would work.

We feed the wild birds. (wild bird seed for foodie).
My wife gets annoyed at the squirrels eating up all the bird seeds before the birds get to it.
So I got a pellet gun and handled most of the problem that way.
Knock a few out and it seems the rest get the message.

My friend also had this problem, but he is way more active in reducing the squirrel population.
Him and his wife also own a pellet gun and took out the entire population in there immediate area.
I guess hes good until a new crop of squirrel's are born.
Squirrels are considered vermin in this area. I don't think that way. But when they get into my wallet, I'm doing something about them.

My wife gets annoyed at the squirrels eating up all the bird seeds before the birds get to it.

My friend also had this problem, but he is way more active in reducing the squirrel population.
Him and his wife also own a pellet gun and took out the entire population in there immediate area.
Squirrels are considered vermin in this area. I don't think that way. But when they get into my wallet, I'm doing something about them.

Haven't had them, but have heard that squirrels are quite tasty, except for Rocky, the flying squirrel, of coarse, and maybe Secret squirrel.:LOL:

Chipmunks and squirels are cousins of the rabbit (and the rat). You've probably heard that classic Christmas song - "Chipmunks roasting on an open fire..."

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

My street is lined with huge oak trees. And guess who harvests all the acorns. I think someone performed a dastardly deed. The Public Works has found about five dead squirrels this past week alone. The people with cars are up in arms. Bird droppings are bad enough, but now up have squirrels as well leaving their calling card. You see whole families running across them all the time. They like to place tag, you're it! :angel:

People that feed any kind of wildlife are just plain wrong, I'd use another word but want to keep it civil! The squirrel and bird feeder is a perfect example. The birds and squirrels now associate humans with food. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used non-lethal measures to keep squirrels from a fruit tree. Squirrels and most birds pose no threat to humans, but when you up scale to larger wildlife, especially predators, you create a very dangerous situation. Now you have animals, that normally shy away from humans, unless they feel threatened, seeking out humans for a handout. Many tragedies, both human and animal, have occurred from this practice.:mad: In Florida, there are laws against feeding wildlife. I won't even get into what I think should happen to hunters that bait.:mad:

Delighted to find this thread. Dh introduced me to avocado pears, but the only way he'll eat them is mashed and spread on toast with salt and pepper because that's the way he ate them as a child growing up in South Africa, so it was good to read of some different ways of using them. I sometimes use them in sandwiches and add beetroot salad or some other salad ingredient. On some occasions I would also have cooked meat or tinned mackerel in there as well. Honey and mustard dressing is also nice with avocado.

My question is, if you still open an avocado pear and discover it is not ripe, in spite of all the good advice above, what can you do about it?

Thanks,

Gillian

Delighted to find this thread. Dh introduced me to avocado pears, but the only way he'll eat them is mashed and spread on toast with salt and pepper because that's the way he ate them as a child growing up in South Africa, so it was good to read of some different ways of using them. I sometimes use them in sandwiches and add beetroot salad or some other salad ingredient. On some occasions I would also have cooked meat or tinned mackerel in there as well. Honey and mustard dressing is also nice with avocado.

My question is, if you still open an avocado pear and discover it is not ripe, in spite of all the good advice above, what can you do about it?

Thanks,

Gillian

Welcome to DC! Despite many claims of what will work, none have ever worked for us. Avocados take several days to ripen after being picked. My best suggestion is to press on the stem end. If it gives a little then it is probably good to go. If you have Hass avocados, the skin will turn brown when they ripen.

Haven't had them, but have heard that squirrels are quite tasty, except for Rocky, the flying squirrel, of coarse, and maybe Secret squirrel.:LOL:

I know people eat them. I would try it, but I would not want to clean them. I get a funny stomach doing this deed alone.
I doubt i could eat them unless i was very hungry and had tno other choice. Maybe their great?

People that feed any kind of wildlife are just plain wrong, I'd use another word but want to keep it civil! The squirrel and bird feeder is a perfect example. The birds and squirrels now associate humans with food. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used non-lethal measures to keep squirrels from a fruit tree. Squirrels and most birds pose no threat to humans, but when you up scale to larger wildlife, especially predators, you create a very dangerous situation. Now you have animals, that normally shy away from humans, unless they feel threatened, seeking out humans for a handout. Many tragedies, both human and animal, have occurred from this practice.:mad: In Florida, there are laws against feeding wildlife. I won't even get into what I think should happen to hunters that bait.:mad:

I say your wrong Craig. Feeding wild birds serves a purpose. It makes my wife happy. Happy wife, happy life.
In the winter the bird feeder provides hours of fun, watching birds we had never seen before. Especially if we get snow.
Wintertime seems to bring out the most beautiful birds known to man.
The bird feeder is filled only occasionally so these birds are far from reliant on this feeder. In fact I would say it is 1% or less their complete diet. Many types of wild birds do not eat seeds, so many species do not even take notice of the feeder.
In your neck of the woods (city) feeding wild birds may be beneficial as their habitat is being swallowed by civilization.
There may come a day where humans feeding them may be their only resource.
I say the biggest wrong is buying, building and supporting suburban sprawl.
I say better to feed than to take away their resources.

ps.....I have a deer lick out back. About 150' away from the back of our house. I put one out in the fall to observe, not to kill.
We have a very healthy deer population. I had one on my front porch the other day. They like the lick but are far from reliant on it.
The plus is we get a satisfaction knowing and seeing the population thriving.
I do agree in general its not a good idea to feed wild animals. But there are exceptions and a bird feeder is one of them.

Last edited:
We have a very healthy deer population. I had one on my front porch the other day. They like the lick but are far from reliant on it.
The plus is we get a satisfaction knowing and seeing the population thriving.
I do agree in general its not a good idea to feed wild animals. But there are exceptions and a bird feeder is one of them.

How sad it is that wildlife in wild but populated areas have so little room left that we have to restrain ourselves from feeding them, lest they become dependent on us and die out.

A relative of mine who lives where it used to be more wild before houses were built there got reprimanded by her neighbor for feeding a mother deer who was with her fawn. I guess that's best tho.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the best way to feed wild animals is to plant the kinds of plants and trees that they forage off of in the wild. Oak, crab apple, and hazelnut trees for the deer, maybe a little patch of barley as well. Choke cherries for the birds, nectar producing, deep flowers for the humming birds, milkweed for the butterflies, flowering plants with successive bloom dates, along with blossoming veggies for the bees, things like that. Raspberries will draw hornets and wasps, which will dine on the insects you don't want around. You just have to be aware of them, and not bother them. Then, they'll leave you alone as well.

The things that you want to keep animals away from, dust with ground cayenne peppers.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom