Eating avocado - are you supposed to mix it with something or cook it from raw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those absorb ethylene gas, which would slow ripening.

I think these, which also don't seem too expensive, that absorb oxygen are what Caslon meant. They would keep the avocado from turning brown.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Sorb-Oxygen-Absorbers-Storage-100-Pack/dp/B0028AG8RO

I had no idea that one could buy either kind.

Those packets that absorb gasses. Why don't they sell that material cheap, in packet form, that you toss into gallon ziplock bags? Why is that stuff so expensive? Marketing and all?

About talking freshness...if bags of lettuce and other like items are packaged using nitrogen, then why not advance that simple technology? A shot of nitrogen gas into a ziplock. No? lol.

And yes GC, a plastic pouch of peeled eggs sealed with nitrogen does last a month, if unopened.
After the nitrogen escapes, they spoil fast, of course. I even posted how the yolk starts forcing its way out the side of the egg after opening....if not wrapped tightly.. lol. Anyone figure out why that happens?

A nitrogen gadget. Do you think we might see that sometime on QVC? I do.

Nitrogen is heavier than oxygen and will force oxygen out of containers. Nitrogen, however is reactive with certain chemicals (all substances are chemicals, just so's you knows), which means that nitrogen will react with certain foods. It's better to fill airtight storage containers of wheat, for example, with nitrogen to purge oxygen, which is highly reactive, from the sealed can. There are fats in grains and veggies that will oxidize and ruing the flavors of foods. Also, plants usually have natural enzymes in them that cause them to self-digest over time.

Add to that microbes and most organic products, that is, Earth life forms, be they plant, animal, or other, spoil after harvesting.

Canning preserves food because it kills microbes, denatures the enzymes, and removes most of the air and oxygen, making the interior of the can anaerobic. However, certain spores need higher heat and acidity to destroy them, hence the need for pressure caners for low acidic foods.

Hope that explains things in a general kind of way.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the lemon/lime trick is no good to me as I get migraines from those

We do usually get it right with avocadoes. Just occasionally we misjudge the ripeness or otherwise of an avocado, but I guess if that happens again we'll just have to throw it out, or I wonder do parrots like unripe avocadoes? We have 2 parrots.

Gillian

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the lemon/lime trick is no good to me as I get migraines from those

We do usually get it right with avocadoes. Just occasionally we misjudge the ripeness or otherwise of an avocado, but I guess if that happens again we'll just have to throw it out, or I wonder do parrots like unripe avocadoes? We have 2 parrots.

Gillian
What kind of parrots?
I would say hand them a bit of the avocado and see if they like it.

Gillian

Oh dear, please don't feed them avocados.

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-nutrition/dont-feed-these-foods.aspx

Just found this thread. I love avocado, having grown up in Africa, including a house with its own avocado tree in the garden. Had avocado coming out of our ears.
Usually eat it on toast with salt, pepper and vinegar or hot sauce.
Love guacamole but usually buy it rather than make it.

The one way, I haven't seen mentioned is baked avocado, delicious especially with a crab stuffing.

Note to self. Was out of lime juice. Made guacamole with lemon juice. Definitely a mistake. Though it was still good, it was not nearly as good as lime juice.

My wife has migraines. I will test to see if lemon or lime could be the culprit!
She has been suffering with them now for years.
Thanks GilliAnne.

Note to self. Was out of lime juice. Made guacamole with lemon juice. Definitely a mistake. Though it was still good, it was not nearly as good as lime juice.

I agree Charlie, it's much better with lime juice. I've used lemon juice when I had no limes and had to use up an avocado, but only enough to keep it from turning brown.

Janet H mentioned the True Lime and True Lemon products a while back. They're powdered lime or lemon juice, and that's it. No sweeteners or additives. I ordered some from Amazon and I've been using them for everything, and they're great. They'd work in guac if you're out of the fresh fruit, which can get expensive around here.

Thank you for the reminder, Dawg! I remember someone here had mentioned a great dehydrated citrus product to use in place of fresh, and I forgot what it was. Added to my list. :)

My grocery store will have lemons and limes on sale cheap on occasion. Sometimes I've bought way more than I can use just to juice and freeze fresh juice for later. After all, I've bought Minute Maid lemon juice in a bottle in the refrigerated or frozen food section for years, so why can't I make my own?

I'll juice the bunch of lemons or limes, pour the juice into Tupperware Minis, and freeze. It doesn't take long for that 2-oz. container of juice to thaw when I need one. Stays fresh in the fridge long enough that I can use it all up without spoiling.

I've done that too, CG. I have also frozen the whole limes when I have had an overabundance, like from Costco after they got some age on them, so I wouldn't waste them.

I've done that too, CG. I have also frozen the whole limes when I have had an overabundance, like from Costco after they got some age on them, so I wouldn't waste them.
Can you still grate the rind when they defrost? I bet the freezing helps get more juice out of them.

Can you still grate the rind when they defrost? I bet the freezing helps get more juice out of them.

The limes I froze were sad, and the rinds weren't worth grating. The juice was still good after defrosting.

In hindsight, I would probably grate off the rind if the limes were fresh, and then freeze the naked limes in a ziplock. Or just juice and freeze.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom