"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #71
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I'm thinking you could dust the tree with powdered cayenne pepper. Since the skins aren't eaten, the inside fruit would be unaffected.

Maybe a pepper spray would work.
We feed the wild birds. (wild bird seed for foodie).
My wife gets annoyed at the squirrels eating up all the bird seeds before the birds get to it.
So I got a pellet gun and handled most of the problem that way.
Knock a few out and it seems the rest get the message.

My friend also had this problem, but he is way more active in reducing the squirrel population.
Him and his wife also own a pellet gun and took out the entire population in there immediate area.
I guess hes good until a new crop of squirrel's are born.
Squirrels are considered vermin in this area. I don't think that way. But when they get into my wallet, I'm doing something about them.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #72
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We feed the wild birds. (wild bird seed for foodie).
My wife gets annoyed at the squirrels eating up all the bird seeds before the birds get to it.
So I got a pellet gun and handled most of the problem that way.
Knock a few out and it seems the rest get the message.

My friend also had this problem, but he is way more active in reducing the squirrel population.
Him and his wife also own a pellet gun and took out the entire population in there immediate area.
I guess hes good until a new crop of squirrel's are born.
Squirrels are considered vermin in this area. I don't think that way. But when they get into my wallet, I'm doing something about them.
Haven't had them, but have heard that squirrels are quite tasty, except for Rocky, the flying squirrel, of coarse, and maybe Secret squirrel.

Chipmunks and squirels are cousins of the rabbit (and the rat). You've probably heard that classic Christmas song - "Chipmunks roasting on an open fire..."

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We feed the wild birds. (wild bird seed for foodie).
My wife gets annoyed at the squirrels eating up all the bird seeds before the birds get to it.
So I got a pellet gun and handled most of the problem that way.
Knock a few out and it seems the rest get the message.

My friend also had this problem, but he is way more active in reducing the squirrel population.
Him and his wife also own a pellet gun and took out the entire population in there immediate area.
I guess hes good until a new crop of squirrel's are born.
Squirrels are considered vermin in this area. I don't think that way. But when they get into my wallet, I'm doing something about them.
My street is lined with huge oak trees. And guess who harvests all the acorns. I think someone performed a dastardly deed. The Public Works has found about five dead squirrels this past week alone. The people with cars are up in arms. Bird droppings are bad enough, but now up have squirrels as well leaving their calling card. You see whole families running across them all the time. They like to place tag, you're it!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #74
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,795
People that feed any kind of wildlife are just plain wrong, I'd use another word but want to keep it civil! The squirrel and bird feeder is a perfect example. The birds and squirrels now associate humans with food. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used non-lethal measures to keep squirrels from a fruit tree. Squirrels and most birds pose no threat to humans, but when you up scale to larger wildlife, especially predators, you create a very dangerous situation. Now you have animals, that normally shy away from humans, unless they feel threatened, seeking out humans for a handout. Many tragedies, both human and animal, have occurred from this practice. In Florida, there are laws against feeding wildlife. I won't even get into what I think should happen to hunters that bait.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #75
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Antrim
Posts: 42
Delighted to find this thread. Dh introduced me to avocado pears, but the only way he'll eat them is mashed and spread on toast with salt and pepper because that's the way he ate them as a child growing up in South Africa, so it was good to read of some different ways of using them. I sometimes use them in sandwiches and add beetroot salad or some other salad ingredient. On some occasions I would also have cooked meat or tinned mackerel in there as well. Honey and mustard dressing is also nice with avocado.

My question is, if you still open an avocado pear and discover it is not ripe, in spite of all the good advice above, what can you do about it?

Thanks,

Gillian
__________________
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #76
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
Delighted to find this thread. Dh introduced me to avocado pears, but the only way he'll eat them is mashed and spread on toast with salt and pepper because that's the way he ate them as a child growing up in South Africa, so it was good to read of some different ways of using them. I sometimes use them in sandwiches and add beetroot salad or some other salad ingredient. On some occasions I would also have cooked meat or tinned mackerel in there as well. Honey and mustard dressing is also nice with avocado.

My question is, if you still open an avocado pear and discover it is not ripe, in spite of all the good advice above, what can you do about it?

Thanks,

Gillian
Welcome to DC! Despite many claims of what will work, none have ever worked for us. Avocados take several days to ripen after being picked. My best suggestion is to press on the stem end. If it gives a little then it is probably good to go. If you have Hass avocados, the skin will turn brown when they ripen.
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #77
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Haven't had them, but have heard that squirrels are quite tasty, except for Rocky, the flying squirrel, of coarse, and maybe Secret squirrel.
I know people eat them. I would try it, but I would not want to clean them. I get a funny stomach doing this deed alone.
I doubt i could eat them unless i was very hungry and had tno other choice. Maybe their great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
People that feed any kind of wildlife are just plain wrong, I'd use another word but want to keep it civil! The squirrel and bird feeder is a perfect example. The birds and squirrels now associate humans with food. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I used non-lethal measures to keep squirrels from a fruit tree. Squirrels and most birds pose no threat to humans, but when you up scale to larger wildlife, especially predators, you create a very dangerous situation. Now you have animals, that normally shy away from humans, unless they feel threatened, seeking out humans for a handout. Many tragedies, both human and animal, have occurred from this practice. In Florida, there are laws against feeding wildlife. I won't even get into what I think should happen to hunters that bait.
I say your wrong Craig. Feeding wild birds serves a purpose. It makes my wife happy. Happy wife, happy life.
In the winter the bird feeder provides hours of fun, watching birds we had never seen before. Especially if we get snow.
Wintertime seems to bring out the most beautiful birds known to man.
The bird feeder is filled only occasionally so these birds are far from reliant on this feeder. In fact I would say it is 1% or less their complete diet. Many types of wild birds do not eat seeds, so many species do not even take notice of the feeder.
In your neck of the woods (city) feeding wild birds may be beneficial as their habitat is being swallowed by civilization.
There may come a day where humans feeding them may be their only resource.
I say the biggest wrong is buying, building and supporting suburban sprawl.
I say better to feed than to take away their resources.

ps.....I have a deer lick out back. About 150' away from the back of our house. I put one out in the fall to observe, not to kill.
We have a very healthy deer population. I had one on my front porch the other day. They like the lick but are far from reliant on it.
The plus is we get a satisfaction knowing and seeing the population thriving.
I do agree in general its not a good idea to feed wild animals. But there are exceptions and a bird feeder is one of them.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #78
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We have a very healthy deer population. I had one on my front porch the other day. They like the lick but are far from reliant on it.
The plus is we get a satisfaction knowing and seeing the population thriving.
I do agree in general its not a good idea to feed wild animals. But there are exceptions and a bird feeder is one of them.
How sad it is that wildlife in wild but populated areas have so little room left that we have to restrain ourselves from feeding them, lest they become dependent on us and die out.

A relative of mine who lives where it used to be more wild before houses were built there got reprimanded by her neighbor for feeding a mother deer who was with her fawn. I guess that's best tho.
__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #79
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I'm thinking the best way to feed wild animals is to plant the kinds of plants and trees that they forage off of in the wild. Oak, crab apple, and hazelnut trees for the deer, maybe a little patch of barley as well. Choke cherries for the birds, nectar producing, deep flowers for the humming birds, milkweed for the butterflies, flowering plants with successive bloom dates, along with blossoming veggies for the bees, things like that. Raspberries will draw hornets and wasps, which will dine on the insects you don't want around. You just have to be aware of them, and not bother them. Then, they'll leave you alone as well.

The things that you want to keep animals away from, dust with ground cayenne peppers.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #80
Head Chef
 
Caslon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Inside the fridge
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The things that you want to keep animals away from, dust with ground cayenne peppers.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Especially squirrels who haven't any Noxema.
__________________

__________________
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, eating

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.