Eating avocado - are you supposed to mix it with something or cook it from raw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Avocado's IMO are like oysters in that you either love them or hate them.
I have never known anyone to be lukewarm on avocado's.

And yes. An unripe avocado is to be avoided. Or ripened at room temperature before using.
And don't feel to bad if you don't like them. There are many people who do not like them. Then there are people like my wife and myself.
We LOVE them.

Removed from skin/peel. Squeeze fresh lime juice all over and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Or make guacamole. Very good and very good for you!

As creative pointed out, you can put them in a paper bag to speed the ripening process. You don't necessarily need the banana. I've found that when they give a little to the touch they are ripe. I usually have to buy them a few days in advance of planning to use them.

I'd heard of avacados but never bought or eaten one until recently, when my daughter came home from school saying they'd talked about them in class and "could we try one?"

I stopped at the market on the way home and bought three of them and when I got home cut one up to see what was inside. I assumed you should take the skin off the outside and eat the pulpy / fleshy stuff inside, and of course found the stone in the middle - and it all seemed to go okay until we tasted it!! :sick:

It was horrible - such a strange texture and the taste, well, not one of us liked it and we decided that maybe you need to do something more to it or mix it with something, or steam it or fry or bake it maybe.

So what did we do wrong (if anything)? and if we didn't, do you get used to the taste and texture over time (not that we're likely to persist as it really wasn't all that pleasant)?

The first time I ate an avocado, I didn't care for it at all. It felt greasy, and garlicy. DW made fresh guacamole by smashing the avocado meat, adding diced, fresh tomato, and a little lime juice. It was better. I changed it up again by adding a little Tobasco Sauce and fresh cilantro, and changed the citrus to lime juice. This is my favorite guacamole.

I now love ripe avocado just sliced, maybe served in a pita pocket with thinly sliced, medium rare sirloin, and bean sprouts, or as a side dish on the plate with dinner.

The flavor grows on you, and once it does, you are hooked. They are delicious. I like the Haas Avocados the best, though I like the Florida ones as well. As the others have posted, the avocado must be ripe. It will not ripen until after it's picked. If your store only has unripe fruit, simple let it sit for a couple of days to ripen to perfection.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As creative pointed out, you can put them in a paper bag to speed the ripening process. You don't necessarily need the banana. I've found that when they give a little to the touch they are ripe. I usually have to buy them a few days in advance of planning to use them.

They will ripen on their own, but adding an apple or a banana will speed the process, because they both put out ethylene gas, a ripening hormone. Putting them in a bag collects and concentrates the gas, so they will ripen faster than leaving them on the counter, which will also work - eventually :)

Ooh, I bet they would be good with Tajin! I still need to get some of that. :yum:

I love them sprinkled with a little lime juice and Penzey's Arizona Dreaming, and just scooped and eaten out of their own little boat. :)

Also....diced and mixed in scrambled eggs, in burritos, wraps, salads, mashed and spread on toast, and of course, guacamole. I didn't care for them when I first tried them many decades ago, but they grow on ya. Out here they're on so many menus.

Last edited:
Salad dressing instead of mayo because mayo is said to almost neutralize the avocado taste when mixed together. I personally don't like Miracle whip salad dressing either.

Last edited:
I'll have to try that with some Sriracha Dawg. My favorite way with a half avocado in the shell is to sprinkle on some garlic powder, and fill the hole with bottled seafood cocktail sauce.

Don't pinch an avocado. Hold it in your hand and gently apply pressure to test for the perfect ripeness. The only thing worse than an under ripe avocado is one that's over ripe.
And don't dig your thumb into it. You just bruise the avocado. If enough people have pressed their thumbs into an avocado it will feel soft even though it isn't ripe. Yup, use your whole hand to feel if it is soft.

Once when I was at the supermarket, I saw a woman pressing an avocado with her thumb. I blurted out, "Don't do that! It just bruises the avocado." I was mortified when I realized that I had used my outside voice. She asked, "Then how should I do it?" I explained the whole hand method and sighed with relief that she wasn't mad at me.

And don't dig your thumb into it. You just bruise the avocado. If enough people have pressed their thumbs into an avocado it will feel soft even though it isn't ripe. Yup, use your whole hand to feel if it is soft.

Once when I was at the supermarket, I saw a woman pressing an avocado with her thumb. I blurted out, "Don't do that! It just bruises the avocado." I was mortified when I realized that I had used my outside voice. She asked, "Then how should I do it?" I explained the whole hand method and sighed with relief that she wasn't mad at me.

You gave me the giggles with using "your outside voice"..I bet she jumped. :LOL: The green groceries daughter here, gets down right annoyed with what goes on in the produce section too. I know people look at me strange when I smell fruit, but if a peach for example, doesn't smell like a peach, it will not taste like a peach! It will taste like wet nothing. The same is true for many fruits. Avocado's don't smell like anything however.

I took me a while to warm up to avocado, but it is really healthy and full of healthy fats and I really enjoy it. I've found that I love it best with sushi, particularly in nori rolls where you combine the avocado with some smoked salmon. Combine the healthy fats of the avocado with the omega 3 oils of the salmon and you've got something pretty healthy as well. Plus, it tastes awesome!!! I could eat it all day, as I find the two really seem to complement each other interns of tastes and texture.

Just my two cents worth....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom