Eating avocado - are you supposed to mix it with something or cook it from raw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH loves feeding the birds. We use sunflower seeds without the hulls. The squirrels love sunflower seeds too. I also have plenty of seedy plants like Black Eyed Susans, which the finches love, along with many other plants for hummingbirds, along with milkweed for the Monarchs. The deer feast on anything they want that I plant, and the bunnies adore my green bean plants, so much so that I have to replant at least twice every year, even though they're fenced in. The blueberries are also quite popular, though I'm not quite sure what's eating them.

Now that our cat is gone, maybe I will find out why we had no furry pests in our garden for the last 7 years. Sad. Never saw one mouse either!

Heres a question I have asked myself on several occasions.
Pigeons.
Why do pigeons like peoples habitat when wild habitat is at hand?
I have no pigeons anywhere around our house, but there is a dairy barn/farm down the road and they have plenty using the buildings for nests and such.
Big cities have them everywhere. Yet I have never seen a pigeon in a natural setting without human influence.
They must be wild, yet they depend on man it seems?

Last edited:
When Lums was still in business, the pigeon population in south Florida was curtailed big time, starting when they introduced Wienerwald Chicken. :angel:

Delighted to find this thread. Dh introduced me to avocado pears, but the only way he'll eat them is mashed and spread on toast with salt and pepper because that's the way he ate them as a child growing up in South Africa, so it was good to read of some different ways of using them. I sometimes use them in sandwiches and add beetroot salad or some other salad ingredient. On some occasions I would also have cooked meat or tinned mackerel in there as well. Honey and mustard dressing is also nice with avocado.

My question is, if you still open an avocado pear and discover it is not ripe, in spite of all the good advice above, what can you do about it?

Thanks,

Gillian

I just came across this yesterday: A Trick for Transforming Unripe Avocados in Just Two Hours

When Lums was still in business, the pigeon population in south Florida was curtailed big time, starting when they introduced Wienerwald Chicken. :angel:

I remember Lum's very well. "hot dogs steamed in beer"!
I frequented the one across the street from Gulfstream race track in Hallandale.

I remember Lum's very well. "hot dogs steamed in beer"!
I frequented the one across the street from Gulfstream race track in Hallandale.

Yup, Pumpernick's is gone from Hallandale. Wolfie's - gone, Rascal House - gone and Corky's - gone.:(

Here's the one reply out of many that reported back who actually tried this method.

"I am back sand here are the results. 1. Cut through the skin in quarters and placed into room temperature brins; 2. Marinated for 45 m8n.; 3. Removed and took peel off the upper half portion all around; 4. Returned to brine for 45 minutes;5. 45 minutes, taste testes - firm but soft and with full avocado flavor. Husband very happy and it isn't mushy".

It sounds as if the shortened brining time is the ticket!
A good tip, I gotta try it. Gonna first have to buy one of those cute looking canning jars shown in the pic.

Last edited:
Yup, Pumpernick's is gone from Hallandale. Wolfie's - gone, Rascal House - gone and Corky's - gone.:(

Good ole days goon too.
I loved Wolfies, Pumpernicks and the rest of the jewish inspired/owned restaurants in Miami and surrounding communities.

Did you ever know Myers Subs on 146th and NW 7th ave N. Miami?
The sandwiches were piled so high, I used to ask for two extra slices of rye bread with mustard on them. Split the pastrami on rye with someone.
They never charged me for the extra two slices!

Good ole days goon too.
I loved Wolfies, Pumpernicks and the rest of the jewish inspired/owned restaurants in Miami and surrounding communities.

Did you ever know Myers Subs on 146th and NW 7th ave N. Miami?
The sandwiches were piled so high, I used to ask for two extra slices of rye bread with mustard on them. Split the pastrami on rye with someone.
They never charged me for the extra two slices!

Maybe a Private conversation through PM as this is way off topic.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DC! Despite many claims of what will work, none have ever worked for us. Avocados take several days to ripen after being picked. My best suggestion is to press on the stem end. If it gives a little then it is probably good to go. If you have Hass avocados, the skin will turn brown when they ripen.

You have misunderstood my question. I was asking what to do with the avocado if it turns out to be not ripe after you have cut it open.

Gillian

Very interesting, but I don't think my husband or I would fancy pickled avocado.

Problem is, when you cut open an avocado with the intention of mashing and spreading it on toast, then eating same toast immediately, you're not going to want to wait 2 hours for the avocado to pickle so that it will be ready for you to eat.

Gillian

There really isn't a fix for an unripe avocado that's been cut open, you can try to save it with a slice of apple in a plastic bag, but it still would not be ready to eat right away. I think folks were just trying to help you with knowing when they were ripe so it doesn't happen to you again.

There really isn't a fix for an unripe avocado that's been cut open, you can try to save it with a slice of apple in a plastic bag, but it still would not be ready to eat right away. I think folks were just trying to help you with knowing when they were ripe so it doesn't happen to you again.

Plus 1.

One of you can have my share of avocados.
People love taking me to Mexican restaurants. They know they will get twice the guacamole or avocados.

Very interesting, but I don't think my husband or I would fancy pickled avocado.

Problem is, when you cut open an avocado with the intention of mashing and spreading it on toast, then eating same toast immediately, you're not going to want to wait 2 hours for the avocado to pickle so that it will be ready for you to eat.

Gillian

It's called "live and learn" GA. Buy another one, and wait till it's ripe for opening. ;)

To save an unripe avocado that has been cut open, leave the pit in on one side. Sprinkle a little lemon, or lime juice on the flesh and place both halves into a freezer zipper bag. Suck all of the air out, or as much as possible and place in the fridge. Wait a couple days for the fruit to ripen. It will ripen faster at room temperature, but may turn brown as it was exposed to air. But if it's sealed so that the air is completely removed, it should ripen and still be good.

It's best to purchase your avocadoes a couple of days before you plan to use them, if you can't find them already ripe at the market. If you purchase ripe avocadoes at the market (the skin should compress slightly when you gently squeeze the fruit), you will need to use it that day, or the next, as they become over-ripe very quickly.

That's all the advice I can give you as the humble, or magnificent avocado needs to be eaten when ripe, not before or after.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Those packets that absorb gasses. Why don't they sell that material cheap, in packet form, that you toss into gallon ziplock bags? Why is that stuff so expensive? Marketing and all?

About talking freshness...if bags of lettuce and other like items are packaged using nitrogen, then why not advance that simple technology? A shot of nitrogen gas into a ziplock. No? lol.

And yes GC, a plastic pouch of peeled eggs sealed with nitrogen does last a month, if unopened.
After the nitrogen escapes, they spoil fast, of course. I even posted how the yolk starts forcing its way out the side of the egg after opening....if not wrapped tightly.. lol. Anyone figure out why that happens?

A nitrogen gadget. Do you think we might see that sometime on QVC? I do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom