"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 AM   #11
Executive Chef
I'm familiar with two types of fresh figs- 'white' and purple and prefer the purple raw and the white stewed. Wish I had enough white one's to get involved canning them. They're problematic to grow in hardiness zone 7a.

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Executive Chef
The purple figs are Mission figs...the green ones are calamyra figs.

How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
Head Chef
Originally Posted by muzzlet View Post
I just bought a couple fresh figs on an impulse in the grocery store today. Never had a fresh one, only Fig Newtons!!

My question: do they have to be peeled first or just washed and eaten like an apple? Scoop out the flesh like a melon? Thanks!
As mentioned, don't need to peel, but I wash everything, lol. Try a search here - recently there was a fig thread and great ideas - i.e. dip 'em in white or dark chocolate.
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Ok, so this thread motivated me to pick up a few figs from Wegmans to try, and they're pretty good! They taste NOTHING like fig newtons though...I can't pick out any resemblance whatsoever.

What should the outside of a fig feel like? Mine were really really soft, like squeezing an overly-ripe tomato. Is this good?
chave982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #15
Master Chef
Arent' fresh figs great!! And, no, they wouldn't taste like the filling in Fig Newtons because that's more of a fig jam, just like Raspberry Newtons are filled with raspberry jam. The texture & sweetness are completely different.

The outside of a fig should be somewhat yielding & soft, without being so very soft you'd think it was rotten. I'd say the overly-ripe-tomato description was a good one, especially if the figs you had were good. Everyone's tastes are different.

Now if you were going to use them in a compote or a recipe calling for poaching, you'd probably want to choose figs that were slightly firmer than those you'd buy for strictly fresh eating.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
Senior Cook
Don't just limit yourself to fresh figs. During the dead of winter these beauties can taste just as great dried or reconstituted by soaking in hot water for a few minutes.

Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #17
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
I have never eaten an unpeeled fig. We always peel them or scoop out the middle.we do that to see if there are any worms inside. Anyway, Try fresh figs with prosciutto or Serrano ham. They are divine. The saltiness combined with the sweetness is just out of this world.!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Chefellas- Executive Chef
Chefellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:22 AM   #18
Executive Chef
While I love a fresh fig, and don't greatly cared for dried ones, I really enjoy them lightly grilled with goats cheese. Yummo!! Won't get any now until Autumn.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #19
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I just wash and eat. They are sweet, delicious, nutritious and fiber rich. If I had written the Bible I would have had Adam and Eve eat a fig since that is a fruit worthy of temptation. I can take or leave an apple, but ah, a fig takes willpower.

I love them fresh or dried (Greek style). Heavenly!
Actually, Adam and Eve ate a pomegranate!

Figs are so wonderful. Eat them out of hand, or wrap them with prosciutto, or stew them with orange zest and juice and use as an ice cream topping (if you can stop eating that with a spoon!) or spread a baked tart shell with seedless raspberry jam and line the fig halves face up on top. Sprinkle the whole thing heavily with powdered sugar and broil the whole thing until the sugar caramelizes....
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
Master Chef
Actually there is wholebig debate on what they ate. One thing for sure, it was not apple.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote