"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post

I have quite an interesting anecdote ... Firstly, I have been to Rich Square, N.C. and Rocky Mount, N.C. many many years ago. We have dear friends who reside in the Outerbanks, N.C. ( Nagshead - Moorehead area ) now. However, my old university pal, Mary was born and raised in Rich Square, N.C. very close to Rocky Mount.

Norfolk, Virginia: We have been there too ... Our friend actually met us there, to guide us the rest of the way to North Carolina ... and to have lunch in Norfolk.

North Carolina has quite a large Latin American population actually, and many Mexican immigrants have Truck Stop Eateries in the Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Rocky Mt. areas. How far are you from there ?

Let me do some research online and look at the link you have been so kind to send ...

We shall catch up ...

Have a lovely wkend,
Ciao, Margi.
I reckon what they say is true. It really is a small world!
Rich Square is about 20 minutes from Casa de Hoot. Rocky Mount is about 60 miles away. Raleigh is about 2 hours away. Chapel Hill, about two and a half hours.
I generally travel to Norfolk when hunting for exotic ingredients and interesting things to see and do. I used to have kin there, and have many friends in that neck of the woods. I truly love Hatteras but don't get there nearly as much as I would like.
I would never have guessed that a worldly and wise traveler like you would have ever heard of Rich Square...Amazing!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Hoot, Buongiorno,

Rich Square, North Carolina: As mentioned, I would of never known of this small textile town, if it were not for a dear university friend, Mary ... She was born in this town and her family worked at the textile and sleepwear corporation located there, called Happy People.

She now lives with her husband in the Outer Banks, and her grown children are in the vicinity, her daughter in Chapel Hill and her son in Raleigh.

Life presents us with some truly wonderful experiences, and Mary and Ray are one of them ... Of course, Rich Square happened to be where she grew up ... None the less, imagine on the other foot, a Rich Square Native in MANHATTAN ! She adopted terrifically too !

Have a lovely Sunday.
Kind regards.
Ciao, Margi.

Margi Cintrano is offline   Reply With Quote

fruit, fruit recipes, recipe, salad

Exotic Tropical Fruit Salad :yum: This is a favorite late Spring, early Summer Salad which is very thirst quenching and refreshing ... This can be served as a lovely salad laboral lunch or a dessert ... or as an accompaniment for a Brunch. [SIZE=4]:chef: EXOTIC TROPICAL FRUIT SALAD [/SIZE] 1 Fresh ripe Mango 2 Red Pitahayas 4 Litchis 1 Papaya 4 Kiwis 1/2 Pineapple ( can be substituted for another tropical fruit ) Evoo Freshly ground rose and green peppercorns 1 fresh lime or lemon a bunch of Mint or Basil leaves minced 4 Fresh Figs 6 Fresh Berries of Choice 1. peel all the fruits and slice the pitahayas in half 2. slice mango in julienne slices 3. slice kiwis and lichis in half 4. slice the figs in quarters 5. mount the fruit salad on a large square plate 6. serve with a drizzle of Evoo and sprinkle of rose and green pepper and a dollop of Crême Fraîche or Mascarpone Serve with a lovely Prosecco or other white Sparkling or Rosé Sparkling Wine. Have a nice wkend. Ciao. Margaux Cintrano. :smile: 3 stars 1 reviews