Favorite apples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I like Braeburn apples the best, next to Red Delicious . What are your favorites for eating. For cooking I like the tart ones.

Just came home from the Greenmarket with a bag full of my favorites, "Mutsu's Mother." They're yellow, very crisp and very sweet. and they bake beautifully. For pies, I like to mix them with their offspring, the Mutsu. which are also yellow and very crisp, but are quite tart.

Just came home from the Greenmarket with a bag full of my favorites, "Mutsu's Mother." They're yellow, very crisp and very sweet. and they bake beautifully. For pies, I like to mix them with their offspring, the Mutsu. which are also yellow and very crisp, but are quite tart.
oooh I'm envious. The stores around here don't have many special kinds. I do like to try different apples.

Well, here's some trivia for you.....did you know that apples supposedly originated in Kazakhstan as well as the tulip? Their apples here are wonderful and large. The former capital "Almaty" means apple. They also have over 30 native "tulip" varieties that were exported to Holland. Kazakhstan was on the former silk route where wonderful, amazing stuff was sent all over the world from different countries along the way.

Fuji is my favourite eating apple, then Pink Lady, and a Jonathan is always hard to beat, just hard to locate! Granny Smiths for cooking and eating too!

And Expatgirl, I knew none of that! Very interesting! Thanks!

We have two apple trees a fujii and a gala, but I love the pink lady and Braeburn

kadesma

My favorite apple is a Winesap but I haven't seen them in a long time. I usually buy Jonathan Gold's.

Well, here's some trivia for you.....did you know that apples supposedly originated in Kazakhstan as well as the tulip? Their apples here are wonderful and large. The former capital "Almaty" means apple. They also have over 30 native "tulip" varieties that were exported to Holland. Kazakhstan was on the former silk route where wonderful, amazing stuff was sent all over the world from different countries along the way.
that is interesting.

Fuji is my favourite eating apple, then Pink Lady, and a Jonathan is always hard to beat, just hard to locate! Granny Smiths for cooking and eating too!

I like Granny Smith for my apple pies.

My favorite apple is a Winesap but I haven't seen them in a long time. I usually buy Jonathan Gold's.
I think I've seen Jonathan Gold in Wegman's , not sure about Winesap tho.

My two favorite are the Braeburn and the McIntosh {which are very hard to find in my area anymore}.:ermm:
I thought McIntosh was everywhere.

oh yes the Pink Lady, forgot about that one, I enjoy that one too.

We have two apple trees a fujii and a gala, but I love the pink lady and Braeburn

kadesma
oh you are fortunate to have those trees. Have you made pies or something with the apples from them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I've made pies and baked apples..And it is so nice to walk outside and pick an apple and sink you teeth into it..I like to pick a few and the slice and saute in butter add brown sugar and some lemon juice and zest and serve it over vanilla ice cream...Yummy

kadesma

MacIntosh are very easy to get here. That's what we tend to have most often; my son isn't picky between Macs and Spartans. I'll eat Macs but I'd rather have Granny Smith.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom