Fig skin - Do you eat it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Do you always eat it, never eat it, eat it if the figs are cooked?

I was making pasta with figs last weekend. I was unsure whether to leave the fig skins on, when slicing them up and putting them in the sauce. I ended up peeling them, just in case.

My grandfather had a huge black mission fig tree in his yard. As kids we would climb it eat the figs right off the tree skin and all. I like the flavor of the skins with the friut.

A little off-topic!

About figs and skins, we have a humorous old saying here in Italy:

"fare come gli antichi
che mangiavan la buccia
e buttavano i fichi"

It means to do something really silly. Literally:

"doing as the ancient ones
who ate the skin
and threw away the figs"!

:)

Huh. Good to know. Have never had the fresh ones, only dried, so I would probably have had the same question. I would bet the fresh are delicious!

Last edited:
We have a very short fig season and when they are in I eat everything except the stem. I wish we could get them year round. We do have fig preserves the rest of the year.

Huh. Good to know. Have never had the fresh ones, only dried, so I would probably have had the same question. I would bet the fresh are delicious!
Yes, the fresh ones are delicious. They taste different to the dried ones, but I like both. :)

I will certainly leave the skins on in future, after all the reassurance in the thread, and I won't just eat the skins and throw away the rest. :)

Back
Top Bottom