"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 03-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Found a Peanut, Found a Peanut

Found a peeeeeeanut last night

Cracked it open

It was rotten

Ate it anyway

Got a bellyache

Well, that is pretty much what happened to me yesterday. I had a hankering for some chopped toasted walnuts to add to my week-end pancake batter, but I did not get it accomplished for Saturday mornings' pancakes. So yesterday later morning, I started working on it. I buy raw nuts in 5 pound bags and store them in the freezer, but I thought I had some walnuts already roasted in a baggie somewhere. Sure enough, right there in the cabinet. But how old were they?? I ate one, and thought, this is not good. So to make sure, I ate another one . Yep, not good, so I threw them in the trash. Then about 4 hours later, I got a bellyache. And quickly lost those two walnuts. As I was sitting there I was thinking, if my Mother was here, she would be pouring the pepto-bismal down my throat. She relied heavily on medicine to stop what ever was going on. I prefer to let my body do what it thinks best. In this case, my body wanted those walnut OUT. I enjoyed a recent thread where I think it was YT suggesting a person to keep heat in their body to help kill some germs. I thought that was a neat idea.

I was in discomfort for about one hour yesterday. I am now thinking of tossing out some pesto that has been in the frig for a bit. Don't want a repeat of yesterdays activities. I thought the pesto would go well with the cannellini bean goo I am preparing to make, but I will not add it!!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow Beth,
that's a NOT nice way to spend a day..I know, I learned the hard way too..Now, I don't even open the containers the suspected food is in, I just pitch it!!! Hope you're feeling better.

kadesma

Old 03-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It's amazing how quickly nuts can go bad. I purchased 5 pounds of chopped walnuts from a nut shoppe once, for holiday baking. The next day, as I was about to grind them I detected a smell like bleu cheese coming from the bag. What self respecting walnut smells like bleu cheese?? A rotton one, that's what. I tossed it all.

Now, if I don't use immediately what I buy, I keep the rest in the freezer. I've got all kinds of nuts (and I don't mean family members, either) in the freezer.

Hope you are feeling better today!
Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I buy in bulk and keep packages in the freezer. Well, we have 2 freezers and as I was straighteng them out, I found about 7 little unopened bags of cornmeal.

I really am going to make an inventory, one day.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
yeah, it was me that mentioned it in the case of the other thread :)

becoming pyrexic if often helpful for SOME disorders, our own bodies natural pyrogens made by the phagocytic cells do this on Auto as part of natural immune system.

it`s not good for Everything though, I really need to point this out :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Sorry for your dilemma. That's a nassty thing to endure. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Sous Chef

But I don't think the nuts were to blame--awfully small amount of stuff. And I have had pesto in my fridge for months--used the last of it on a sandwich this week.
Just because "something" happens it may not have been caused by "something else".
Old 03-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
But I don't think the nuts were to blame--awfully small amount of stuff.
What does size have to do with it? The nasties that cause illness are a heck of a lot smalled than a nut.

Ever hear of Occam's razor? It would seem to apply here I would think.

bethzaring, I hope you are feeling better. That does not sound like any fun at all.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
it`s not the NUT itself but the Toxin(s) that may be present within it, these can be on a Nano scale and still take you out! :(

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Sous Chef

What toxins would be in a nut? Nuts get rancid. They can even be eaten if rancid--not good, but nutrition is there. I just have never heard of any nut toxins in my pathogenic microbiology classes. But I am certainly ready to learn about them.

Tags
None