Freezing mango and papaya?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpinmaryland

Sous Chef
Hey does anybody know if these can be frozen? They seem to be on sale at the local shopper's food and thinking of putting some in my freezer. ANy special technique for doing this?

Hey does anybody know if these can be frozen? They seem to be on sale at the local shopper's food and thinking of putting some in my freezer. ANy special technique for doing this?

I would peel, seed, slice or chop/dice and freeze in a single layer on a cookie sheet, once frozen you can bag it.

Since they have so much water and you can't flash freeze at home, I'd be concerned that they would be mushy when thawed.

Maybe buy one and experiment before you buy a bunch?

In India we generally do not freeze peeled mango and papaya. We freeze the whole fruit and we peel just before eating, it will keep[ the taste intact.

In India we generally do not freeze peeled mango and papaya. We freeze the whole fruit and we peel just before eating, it will keep[ the taste intact.

That's very interesting... The fruit doesn't get mushy after it's defrosted??? I'd love to be able to try this, as we have many mangos and papayas here in florida...

I also use them for smoothies, they are fine to use for this purpose if they've been frozen.

I freeze cantalope In bigger pieces, To make ice cream It Freezes well. I haven't frozen Mango or Papaya. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Josie

That's very interesting... The fruit doesn't get mushy after it's defrosted??? I'd love to be able to try this, as we have many mangos and papayas here in florida...

May be I was unable to express myself properly. We use the word freeze colloquially means to keep under refrigeration and you mean to keep in freezer (because you will defrost)? No we don't keep in freezer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom