"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirl View Post
hmmm, ok heres a question, when we cut into our fresh dates they looked like the inside of a green apple. the outside is dark brown/purple, is this right? are they ripe?
also, I looked up 'medjools' on google images and they looked wrinkled (like the dried dates) are they fresh?
I was thinking about what you wrote, that your dates looked like the inside of a green apple. Are you sure you had dates, or might they be figs? Did they have a lot of little seeds in them, and a soft inside? If so, they might be figs, not dates.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
We used to make candies with them at Christmas, by stuffing them with homemade fudge (or you could use ganache) and then rolling them in granulated sugar.

My father could eat them by the dozens. They are also delicious stuffed with peanut or almond butter.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Green Lady, good point. I don't remember ever seeing "fresh" dates for sale here.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Head Chef

slice and stuff them with goat cheese and wrap with proscuitto bake in oven.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Slap his face, send him home without a good night kiss, and instruct him never to call you again. The nerve of some guys!
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Slap his face, send him home without a good night kiss, and instruct him never to call you again. The nerve of some guys!

I have a wee box of medjools in the fridge at the moment. Lovely on a cheeseboard, stuffed with marzipan and chocolate dipped ( flavour homemade marzipan with rosewater for a Middle Eastern flavour!) and I adore them chopped with preserved ginger, dried apricots...mixed into cream cheese and used as a filling with wholegrain bread.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
I hate to admit it, but I had to read this one twice before I got it! LOL! I thought it was in the wrong thread at first.....
Old 10-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #18
Head Chef

Best thing to make is a date and tamarind chutney.

Use about a cup of dates. You can cut them up and put them in a pan
Add about 2 cups of water and cook on low until they are soft and break easily with a spoon (turns into mush).
Add tamarind concentrate (available in most Asian or Indian stores) about 2 tbsp to this.

Stir to combine

Add 3-4tbsp of brown sugar, pinch of freshly roasted and ground cumin and pinch of chili powder, small pinch of salt. Again let it all cook on low for 15-20 minutes so the flavors mingle.

Let the chutney cool and then pour in a glass jar and refrigerate. It is a great dipping sauce for any types of kabob's or samosas or fritters.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

i slap fresh dates and say "tut, tut!"

just kidding, i know you're talking about nuts.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
Master Chef

The best place on the planet to find out about dates is in Twenty-Nine Palms California. They grow many kinds of date palms there and you will find a date to fit almost every need. Some are very sweet and gooey, almost like eating sweet mollases with a crinkly skin, while others are somewhat dry and bland.

Dates aren't dried. They are a fruit that come as they are from the tree when ripened. Dates can be mashed and mixed with nuts to form a filling for cookies (my Mother made the best date-filled cookies every Christmas), then can be chopped and added to salads, hot cereals such as farina or oatmeal, they can be used in sauces, added to cake batters, and sprinkled over ice cream.

Finding a wide variety of dates in the supermarkets is difficult. But if you can, choose dates that are dark, rich, and gooey. They are messy to eat, but taste great.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None