Fruit n' nuts on your cereal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
I've been doin' it for years. I stepped it up a notch a few weeks ago with some spices. I like a banana, followed with Post Grape nuts. I add black rasins and chopped pecans. I then add a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg. I pour on the milk and add a handfull of Post Tostes or Kellogs corn flakes. What's yours?

I especially like fruit on my cereal. My children think the cereals I like are boring...Rice Krispies, Special K, cornflakes, shredded wheat (plain, no frosting), raisin bran. I love sliced peaches on Rice Krispies and Special K, as well as raspberries and bananas.

I like brown sugar and cinnamon and raisins on my hot cereals. Love steel cut oatmeal, cream of wheat, cream of rice, etc. Yum!

Katie E...

"I like brown sugar and cinnamon and raisins on my hot cereals. Love steel cut oatmeal, cream of wheat, cream of rice, etc. Yum!"

Been doin' that forever, but just recently tried the spices on cold cereal. Really tastes great. Walnuts, almonds, dried dates or cranberries, all are good.

i love it too - i eat hot plain old fashioned oatmeal most days. i mix it up with bananas, raisins, or apples. Sometimes dried dates, or blueberries if they are in season. I also like sweetened coconut. i add vanilla, cinnamon, tiny dash of nutmeg, sometimes cardamom.

i don't usually eat cold cereal, except maybe granola in yogurt. i'll add similar fruit and spices there too.

I've been trying to eat more healthy cereals...which usually means they have less flavor, so I just add Craisins (dried cranberries) and it adds a lot of flavor. Also add banana slices, too, if I have them.

The breakfast I enjoy at least 5 days a week is hot oatmeal either the regular (not instant or quick) rolled oats or the steel cut oats, I always have both on hand.

My standard add-ins/toppings are: blueberries, chopped walnuts, unflavoured natural yoghurt, and cinnamon. To these I always add 2 other fruit components usually one dried (cranberry, apricot, cherry, raisin...) and one fresh seasonal or frozen (strawberry, mango, peach, kiwi...) I also add one or more seed/nut/grain components (hemp seed, ground flax, wheat germ, chopped almonds, chopped pumpkin seed...)

This past year I've even gotten my DH to eat oatmeal from time to time :)

G

Back
Top Bottom