Fruits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I've gained some weight and am trying to eat healthier. When I get a sweet craving, I've been eating apples instead of cookies/candy/etc.

Problem...they've been giving me canker sores on my tongue. They last forever, it seem like.

Soo...I'm trying to find new fruits.

See, I've been a very picky eater my whole life and not willing to try new foods. I never even tried cottage cheese until I was out of high school, cuz I was for SURE it tasted like Mayo (yuck...)...:huh:

I'd like your help.

I need fruit suggestions.

Sweet fruit...I LOVE berries, but they aren't sweet enough for me unless they are rolled in sugar and I don't wanna add the "extras".

I hate bananas and grapes...although grape juice is my fave...

Like oranges, d'anju pears, watermelon.

Cantaloupe is only OK...same with pineapple.

Not really a fan of peaches.

I guess I'm looking for advice on:

Mangos
Kiwi
Honeydew
Apricots
Plums

(Did I miss any??)

Tastes, how to eat them (to peel or not to peel)...etc.

I guess I'm a huge "fruit flavor" fan but not much of a real fruit lover.

My mom would be SO proud of me! LOL..

Last edited:
Mangos
Kiwi
Honeydew
Apricots
Plums

are all great. The first three you do not want to eat the skin or rind. The last two you can. Make sure you get ripe fruits though. No fruit is going to have the sweetness you are looking for unless it is ripe.

How do you describe a flavor?

Papayas are delicious. The are very sweet and tropical tasting. I would say they are similar to mango's without the tartness that a mango has, but that really does not get very close to describing what it really tastes like.

angie, aaaaa-yun-gie, they can't say we never triiii-uh-iii-ied.

if you don't mind spenig a few extra bucks, try organic fruits if you find the normal stuff not flavorful enough.

you'l be sur-pri-uh-iii-ized.

(sorry, can't help breaking into the stones when i say your name. :) )

Depending on the season, you could try any of the following, and many more not mentioned:

Apricots
Peaches
Nectarines
Bananas
Rockmelon (cantaloupe)
Honeydew melon
Watermelon
Kiwifruit
Plums
Pears - try Nashi pears for a change in flavour
Grapes - white, red, black
pawpaw (papaya) - strong flavour, I don't like it myself
mango
strawberries
blueberries
blackberries
raspberries
avocado
passionfruit
figs
dragon fruit (nicer than it looks)
pomegranate
persimmon
cherries (I prefer the black ones, but the reds are good, too)
oranges (navels are the sweetest)
mandarines (tangerines, clementines)
pineapple
rhubarb
guava

Rockmelon too strong a flavour for you? Try and find a pepino instead. Similar flavour, but milder, and they come in sizes suitable for one.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/60/51/23035160.jpg

If you're getting reactions from apples, don't use them, or apple juice or cider.

Many of the fruits on the list can be cooked and used with things like meats. eg. apricot and chicken, ham and pineapple, rhubarb and pork, grapes in salads, mango with anything. Try frying your bananas and serving with a Chicken Maryland.

You don't have to eat the fruit as a snack. Make fruit salads for desserts, use fruits in steamed puddings, serve fruits in cobblers, or with custard or ice cream or cream or yoghurt, make fruit sauces, or chutneys or jellies. Drink fruit juices, alone or in combinations. Make smoothies. Make pies or cake fillings, or use fresh fruit as a garnish or cake decoration. Make fruit fritters:

Batter For Fritters:
1 heaped tablespoon flour
1 egg, separated
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons lukewarm water
pinch salt

Sift flour into a basin, make a well in the centre and drop the egg yolk into it. Add salt, then gradually add water, stirring the flour in from the centre. Mix until smooth, add the butter. Allow mixture to stand for one hour before using. When ready to use, beat the egg white until stiff, and mix it in lightly to the batter mixture. Add sweet or savoury fillings of your choice: eg. banana, pineapple, apple slices; finely chopped onions and leftover meat, vegetables etc. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a hot griddle or heavy based frying pan, lightly oiled, and fry other side.

Use fresh fruit with a sweet dip. Make a fondue sauce and dip fruit into it.

Don't forget dried fruit. Sprinkle on breakfast cereals, make muesli, add to biscuit (cookie) or muffin or cake batters. Raisins and sultanas, prunes, apricots, bananas, pawpaw, mango, strawberries, apples, cranberries - all these and more can be bought dried and make good snacks.

Try dates. They can be very sweet, and served fresh, dried, sweet or savoury. Ditto dried figs.

Do try to reduce your intake of sugar. You'll soon get used to it, and then fruit will taste sweeter to you. It's all a matter of training your taste-buds.

buckytom said:
angie, aaaaa-yun-gie, they can't say we never triiii-uh-iii-ied.

if you don't mind spenig a few extra bucks, try organic fruits if you find the normal stuff not flavorful enough.

you'l be sur-pri-uh-iii-ized.

(sorry, can't help breaking into the stones when i say your name. :) )

:LOL: I have that single on a 45 somewhere!

I'm willing to get the organic ones, for sure...Especially since I'm just buying for myself.

GB-I know it's a huge task asking for someone to describe a flavor, but the way you did it was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks all...Maybe I need to get into my family past and start a new fruit or something..like my relative Luther Burbank did! :ROFLMAO:

First of all, berries need not be sweetened, IF you buy them driect from the farm, in season of course, rather than from a supermarket. The farmers always keep the biggest, sweetest berries for their roadside stand!

Second, give Asian pears a try. They taste similar to a pear, but they have all the CRUNCH of an apple.

Back
Top Bottom