Fun with Watermelon Rind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I just made some watermelon rind limeade, it's pretty tasty! I cut the skin off and put the rind chunks in the blender, juiced a lime, and added some agave syrup, then strained it. I'm thinking some mint or ginger might be nice too.

Last edited:
I have seen, although have never done this. Peel the outer green and julienne or thin slice watermelon rind and use in a stir fry.

I like Watermelon Pickles. I wish I could make Crisp watermelon pickles like my Grandmother's. I think she used Lye or some Galvanized Aluminum :ohmy: product which helped make them crispy and took 3 days or week after changing the brine or Double Boiled or something. Some method we probably wouldn't use today. :huh: Plus she set them in a crock in her basement with its single overhead light and creaky stairs. So the process seemed Mysterious. They always turned out Crisp, sweet and spicy. Funny. She made lots. But only gave them out in Small jars. And the irony, is, of course, watermelon gives so much to use. :LOL:

I thought about making pickles, Whiska, but what a lot of work! Was it alum your gramma used? There's a lot of rind waste involved in watermelon, I composted the last one's rind, but figured I would do something with the current (locally grown) one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom