"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Grapes/Walnuts/Cheese/TNT

These are a must during the warm summer months. You will need 1lb. of seedless red grapes, about 6 oz. of Roquefort or any blue cheese, 1/2 to 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1 cup toasted finely chopped walnuts. Wash and dry the grapes put the cheese and cream in the f/p and pulse il smooth. Put the mix in a med sized bowl the walnuts in another. add grapes 3-4 at a time to the cheese roll the grapes around til coated and then transfer carefully to the bowl of nuts. Shake the bowl of nuts to roll the grapes around in the walnuts til well coated. set on apaper lined cookie sheet refrigerate at least 2 hours arrange on serving platter garnish with fresh grape leaves nice serve as a dessert with cold sparkling wine or a tawny port.
kades

Old 05-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Good Morning Kadesma,

Now we are on the same wavelength ! My fave ingredients, GRAPES and the philosophy, " Volla La Campagna " ( return to the countryside where grapes and food products are grown ) and CHEESE ... and Walnuts or Pistachios ...

Do you have a photo of this dessert for " the Port " ?

I had one of the best Ports ever, in Sardinia ... They are becoming producers too ... Though of course, I like Portugese Port too ...

Thanks for posting, and I have copied this down in the notebk to make sure I understand all --- and to visualisations. I think I would use Gorgonzola ! The Vet loves Gorgonzola.

Margi.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Oh I envy you living in California, and Italy and Spain....where you can get fresh fruit more often then just late summer, as we do here. AND we have to import most of it.

We have been eating frozen and canned fruits for months now, and I'm salivating for a fresh fruit salad.

ENJOY!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Executive Chef

@ Soma,

I do not live in California ( Kadesma does ). I live in Madrid Capital, Spain for professional purposes and we have a Condo in Puglia, Italia, our love.

I had lived in San Francisco for 10 years, however, many years ago.

Fresh fruit and veggies as well as fish are so vital ... I love the Mediterranean for this reason. If it is not at the Central Market, it is NOT in season, thus, choose something else. Grapes are Mediterranean ! ha ha
Kind regards. Margi.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Margi,
I don't take pictures my daughter might if I can get her to sit still for me long enought to ask her I'll try and see what I can do.
kades
Old 05-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Executive Chef

@ Kadesma.

Re-read your recipe earlier this morning ... Got your instructions on how to dredge the grapes and prepare the Gorgonzola with the cream and then, dip into the crushed walnuts --- Yum !

Lovely dessert, as in Mediterranean, we do eat fruit and cheese for dessert.

Thanks for posting this. I am trying this evening with a glass of Prosecco white sparkling Italian wine. This is a perfect pair ! and Cava is also lovely.

Margi.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Lovely dessert, as in Mediterranean, we do eat fruit and cheese for dessert.
Yes! And we have and old saying in Italy:

Al contadino non far sapere
quant'è buono il formaggio con le pere

Do not say to the peasant
how good is cheese with pears

Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Executive Chef

@ Luca: Perhaps you are correct about the triology

Buonasera Luca,

The old Mediterranean Shepherds´ Triology is: " GOOD WINE, CHEESE & WARM CRUSTY HOME MADE BREAD " ...

So you have a point ! Though the French, serve Bread, Cheese, Wine and Fruit together !!

Neighbors with a whole different view !!

Have a nice evening.

Margi.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Oh goodness, this is a real "blast from the past" Kades!!!

I remember this recipe from one of Martha Stewart's very first books before she became a diva. I made them to serve at a New Year's Eve party & what a hit they were!! Thanks for reminding me how good they were. Will have to make a platter of them soon.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
Oh goodness, this is a real "blast from the past" Kades!!!

I remember this recipe from one of Martha Stewart's very first books before she became a diva. I made them to serve at a New Year's Eve party & what a hit they were!! Thanks for reminding me how good they were. Will have to make a platter of them soon.
I'm glad I jogged your memory. Don't know where I got the recipe. Not from MS sorry to say. I do have several old books of her's will have to dig them out and take a look. I use to wonder at the beautiful way she decorated her dishes and things and use to try to do the same. Those decorating ideas have never left me.
kades

Tags
None