"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Green Tomato Mincemeat

Green Tomato Mincemeat

3lbs. green tomatoes chopped
3lbs. apples chopped
1 C. apple juice
2 C. chopped suet or 1 C. butter
1-1/2 C. cider vinegar
2 C. currents or 1/2 currents & 1/2 raisins
2lbs. brown sugar
2tsp. cinnamon
1tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. mace
2 tsp. salt
1 orange (grated rind and juice)
1 lemon (grated rind and juice)
boiling water

Pour boiling water over chopped tomatoes, let stand overnight. Drain for 1 hour. Combine tomatoes, apples, raisins in a large saucepan. Add salt and sugar mix well. Combine vinegar, juice and spices and add to tomato mixture. Simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Add suet or butter stir to mix well.
Spoon mincemeat into jars and process (if you wish) in a pressure canner for 25 minutes at 10lbs. pressure. If you do not wish to can, the mincemeat can be frozen or baked immediately into pies, tarts etc.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Blimey Bunny you make mince pies, Heston B has launched a mince pie in Waitrose that you reheat and dust with pine scented sugar. A friend tried them and said they smelled like lav cleaner

Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Lol! Bolas..............I am assuming that its the pine scented sugar that makes them smell like lavatory cleaner! lol again Of course mince pie is an aquired taste for many people, I can only assume that pine is as well
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Bunny how easy is it to buy suet in your area?
Old 12-07-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Not that easy in my local ( small town) area, but I think I can get it in the bigger centers with ethnic neighborhoods. I was given some rendered suet one time at a german sausage/paste shop. They were giving each patron a small carton with their purchase. If not I would just use butter or lard.

Tags
recipe, tomato

Green Tomato Mincemeat Green Tomato Mincemeat 3lbs. green tomatoes chopped 3lbs. apples chopped 1 C. apple juice 2 C. chopped suet or 1 C. butter 1-1/2 C. cider vinegar 2 C. currents or 1/2 currents & 1/2 raisins 2lbs. brown sugar 2tsp. cinnamon 1tsp. cloves 1/2 tsp. allspice 1/2 tsp. mace 2 tsp. salt 1 orange (grated rind and juice) 1 lemon (grated rind and juice) boiling water Pour boiling water over chopped tomatoes, let stand overnight. Drain for 1 hour. Combine tomatoes, apples, raisins in a large saucepan. Add salt and sugar mix well. Combine vinegar, juice and spices and add to tomato mixture. Simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Add suet or butter stir to mix well. Spoon mincemeat into jars and process (if you wish) in a pressure canner for 25 minutes at 10lbs. pressure. If you do not wish to can, the mincemeat can be frozen or baked immediately into pies, tarts etc. 3 stars 1 reviews