Health and Bananas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blend them up with other fruit & water for smoothies.
Chop up a banana, 2 medjool dates and stuff into celery sticks.
Banana muffins or bread is lovely and can be made low-fat.
Sliced banana with almond butter is one of my favorites.
Sliced banana's in oatmeal is a yummy breakfast.

Feeling like a little kid? Try my dh and grandkids favorite, cut that banana in half, put in a popsicle stick and then roll in melted chocolate and then lay on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and freeze, makes a great little dessert or a snack sitting in the backyard sun;)
kadesma

I am surprised the site did not claim one could live for at least a hundred years by eating the fruit.

I don't know why but I cannot stand the things.

Saute them in butter with a bit of sugar and they are almost palatable.

Other than that I yield to other posters.

Feeling like a little kid? Try my dh and grandkids favorite, cut that banana in half, put in a popsicle stick and then roll in melted chocolate and then lay on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper and freeze, makes a great little dessert or a snack sitting in the backyard sun;)
kadesma
Let's take that a step further. Long, narrow, deep glass dish. One banana, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise in th ebottom of the dish. One scoop of vanilla ice cream. One scoop of strawberry ice cream. One scoop of chocolate ice cream. Two tablespoons of strawberry syrup on the chocolate ice cream. Two tablespoons of chocolate syrup on the vanilla ice cream. Two tablespoons of pineapple syrup on the strawberry ice cream. Cover completely with whipped cream. Sprinkle the whipped cream with a handful or two of crushed mixed nuts. One maraschino cherry right in the middle of it all!

Dear auntdot, that really took some overcoming and I thank you - actually I think I will try the saute of bananas in butter! :)

Banana Nut Muffins w/ oat bran

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup sugar
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas, peeled, chopped
1 cup pecan chips

Preheat 400. grease muffin tin. combine first 5 ing. in lg bowl. In med. bowl, whisk milk, butter, egg whites and vanilla to blend. add to dry ing., stirring just til moistened. Min in bananas and pecans. Bake muffins 20 min. Makes 12.
YUM!! And fairly healthy. I've even replaced the flour with wheat flour and it works fine.

David: Here is an address with many recipes using bananas.
Howstuffworks "Banana Recipes"
I love making crepes, and the filling them with apples, diced and sauteed in butter (just a little) and added some bananas in slices, sugar and cinnamon. OR banana and pineapple juice, or banana and orange juice.
Or if you find PLANTAINS ( a banana cousin, a little rougher ) let it go almost black, cut the ends and peel, put in a glass oven dish (I brush them with a little butter) and put in the oven for a more or less 30 minutes at 350, let them cook, and slice lenghtways ( do not separate the halves) and fill with cheese. I love the sweet of the planain with the salty taste of the cheese!

Let's take that a step further. Long, narrow, deep glass dish. One banana, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise in th ebottom of the dish. One scoop of vanilla ice cream. One scoop of strawberry ice cream. One scoop of chocolate ice cream. Two tablespoons of strawberry syrup on the chocolate ice cream. Two tablespoons of chocolate syrup on the vanilla ice cream. Two tablespoons of pineapple syrup on the strawberry ice cream. Cover completely with whipped cream. Sprinkle the whipped cream with a handful or two of crushed mixed nuts. One maraschino cherry right in the middle of it all!
I like your idea better than mine:LOL:

kadesma

Here's a "bunch." ;)

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showpost.php?p=444837&postcount=13

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f30/got-glut-bananas-35447-2.html

And...

Banana (strawberry) & Yogurt-Filled Crepes
Banana and Yogurt Crepes

Banana & Walnut Pancakes

Fruit Salad
Sliced bananas, strawberries, blueberries, mangos, papaya, pineapple & Macadamia nuts. Combine plain yogurt w some honey & lime juice & drizzle over salad. Lemon yogurt is another suggestion for a topper.

Banana s'mores - Graham crackers, slice of banana, square of chocolate & a marshmallow.

Thai Fried Bananas
Fried Banana

Slice a banana in half lengthwise - but not all the way thru - sprinkle w chocolate chips & nuts, wrap in foil & bake.​

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! You have created a nice collection of everything to do with bananas. Buying on sale, mashing and freezing is something I would never have thought of!

I do appreciate it - with the blood pressure regime especially with the "water pill' (some of you know the drill I'm sure) I tend to let the potassium get low and that's not nice at all. Bad as a matter of fact. Now I have no excuse!

Thanks everyone! You have created a nice collection of everything to do with bananas. Buying on sale, mashing and freezing is something I would never have thought of!
David, make sure they are pretty ripe before you mash them, for maximum flavor!

and btw, potatoes are even higher in potassium than bananas!

:LOL:yesterday i made banana bread. used splendia, white and brown sweetner.also added an extra banana. it is really moist and good. by not using sugar the bread is even better for u. unless of course they find out splendia will make u grow another head.

babe:LOL:

The best banana muffin recipe I tried used some sour cream, orange zest, mini chocolate chips, and of course, pureed banana. They were easily the best muffins I've had in my life.

1 c flour
3/4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
5 T butter
1/2 c sour cream
1 banana
1 t orange zest
1/2 c sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract

Cream together banana and sour cream
Add softened butter and sugar, mix
Add zest and vanilla and egg
Mix dry ingredients, incorporate
Add chips to taste
Bake 350 till risen and golden

David, I meant to post this recipe for you. It not only tastes amazing, it's also healthy. No refined sugar, no white flour. I also use this recipe as the base for cheesecake!

BANANA BREAD

makes 2 8x4-inch, or 4 mini loaves

1/2 cup warmed clover honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 VERY ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
2 tablespoons Rumfords Baking Powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Cream honey and oil, and stir in bananas, vanilla and well beaten eggs.

In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and nuts, and stir into the egg mixture only until just mixed.

Oil the loaf pans very well. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake at 325 degrees F. The 8x4-inch loaves will require about 50 minutes, the mini loaves about 40 minutes.

Cool in pans for about 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on a cake rack. [If you want to give the mini loaves as gifts in their pans, just leave them in. If you've oiled the pans well enough, they'll come loose whenever.]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom