Help an ExPat Lost Without Cranberries!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollygram

Assistant Cook
I'm living in Buenos Aires, Argentina and they have yet to begun to grow cranberries, let alone import them. As T-Day is approaching we are in a panic as to what to substitute for our cherished cranberry sauce? Any ideas? Help! We'd be grateful for suggestions!
:LOL:

Do they grow redcurrants? They aren't quite so tart as cranberries, but when made with some port, they make a great sauce for white meats such as turkey or to go with lamb.

Thank you much...let me check. I believe they have only rasberries, cherries, blueberries, strawberries and another strawberry-like fruit (sweet).

I know this isn't even close but it would still be good - IF you have fresh fennel - do you have fresh fennel?

cubed red apples
cubed fresh fennel
walnuts (big chop, not small)
fresh fennel leaves
rings of green onion/spring onion
s & p
walnut oil if possible or a light olive oil
red-wine vinegar

Make a vinaigrette with the olive oil/walnut oil/fennel leaves, s & p. Toss in the green/spring onions and then toss with some more but not all the dressing. At the time of serving you may need toss with some more.

OK, now here is where you might be able to add some golden sultans and even some mandarin oranges. It's not a perfect idea but it gets that fruit flavor in there at least. You could even leave out the fennel. Add a bit of sugar to the vinaigrette to make it more sweet like relish.

...or maybe this will spark your imagination in a whole different direction.

hollygram said:
Thank you much...let me check. I believe they have only rasberries, cherries, blueberries, strawberries and another strawberry-like fruit (sweet).

Hmmmm - they are all too sweet, IMO!

Thanks to all!

Everyone's ideas were a great help. I found they have blackcurrants (casis) which I am hoping will be similar enough in the not-too-sweet department. Will report back after testing...

If you can find some good tart apples, core, peel, and slice them into rings. Cook them with red hots until they are just crisp tender. Or, cooked them with red food coloring and mixed pickling spice.
That way, you'll have something red and tart to go with your turkey. My family actually preferred them over cranberries. You can add the currants, too, if you like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom