"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 03-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Homemade Apple Butter

I could have sworn we discussed this before but I can't find the thread, so I'm making a new one.

I want to make some apple butter but I am diabetic so I would prefer to have no sugar, just the sweetness of the apples. I understand that the sugar is needed to preserve it. Here is the recipe I received from a friend and used the first time I made it. It was a little sweeter than I wanted it. How far can I cut back on the sugar and still have the longer shelf life?

Apple Butter

Fill Crock pot with 3 different kinds, of cored and peeled apples (mines heaping)
1/2 c.brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Pour 1 c. water or apple cider over apples
Set temp on low, leave the lid ajar, and let cook over night.
Don't scrape sides, stirring only when needed.
Place paper towels around pot (but not to close) to catch splatters
12-16- hours depends on apples

Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You don't need any sugar. Just cook it without sugar. If you want it sweeter at the end, you can add some agave syrup or Stevia. I freeze my apple butter.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Freezing apple butter? Do you put it in bags or use containers?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like bags, it squishes flat that way, but containers work too. Even canning jars, as long as you leave some head space.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Rob's boss gave him some apple butter that his mother-in-law made and it was amazing, it had a bit more spice than I had before, but not overboard, the best I've ever had.

This fall I shall try to duplicate it!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Carol, although the recipe says three different kinds of apples, do some research and look for sweeter apples. You certainly wouldn't want to add Granny Smith. Too sour. The sweeter the apples, the less sugar you will need.

As you know, all fruit has natural sugar. Even lemons and limes. Hard as it is to believe.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My oh so prolific apple tree produces one kind of apple, so that's what I use. Have no idea what kind it is, but it works for both eating and cooking, holds its shape, and lasts a very long time in the fridge. It's both sweet and tart.

I love doing apple butter in the CP. I don't even vent the lid, just let the apples cook for a very long time on low. You don't even need to peel them if you don't mind straining them when they're done, which is pretty easy with a China cap/chinoise/metal thingy with holes and a fat wooden stick thingy.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My oh so prolific apple tree produces one kind of apple, so that's what I use. Have no idea what kind it is, but it works for both eating and cooking, holds its shape, and lasts a very long time in the fridge. It's both sweet and tart.

I love doing apple butter in the CP. I don't even vent the lid, just let the apples cook for a very long time on low. You don't even need to peel them if you don't mind straining them when they're done, which is pretty easy with a China cap/chinoise/metal thingy with holes and a fat wooden stick thingy.
Dawg, have you ever taken a bite into a crab apple? If you do, make sure DH is standing close. Those will make you pucker up so tight, that DH will get the kiss of his life.

During one of my mean days, there is a crab apple tree right on the way to where I was working. Some kids were walking by and I heard one of them ask what were those things growing on the tree. I just said, very small apples. I never used the word sour, bitter or any other that would cause them to run. So one kid pick one off a lower branch and took a bite. I laughed all the way to work that morning. It just made my day!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Dawg, have you ever taken a bite into a crab apple? If you do, make sure DH is standing close. Those will make you pucker up so tight, that DH will get the kiss of his life.

During one of my mean days, there is a crab apple tree right on the way to where I was working. Some kids were walking by and I heard one of them ask what were those things growing on the tree. I just said, very small apples. I never used the word sour, bitter or any other that would cause them to run. So one kid pick one off a lower branch and took a bite. I laughed all the way to work that morning. It just made my day!
Addie, my grandma made the world's best apple butter from crab apples! Gramma had her own crab apple trees. We would help her pick them. She made it the old fashioned way, no coring, seeding or peeling, just cooked in a huge pot on the stove low and slow, and later, she discovered an even better way, in a roaster in the oven. She then strained it. It was fantastic.

And yes, I've eaten plenty of crab apples!
Old 03-29-2014, 03:30 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I made mint jelly, I used crab apples from a friend's yard. Crab apples have lots of pectin, so it jelled really well and fairly fast.

Tags
apple, butter, homemade