"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 01-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
Senior Cook

A bruised apple produces more ethylene gas than an unblemished one. Thats why the old saying one bad apple spoils the bunch. I'm not sure it needs a paper bag. My thinking is paper is porous so if the gas goes through the paper it isn't as intense in the bag. Put the avacados in a plastic zip lock bag with a bruised apple. An apple cut in half starts to brown and that is going to release the gas too. Cut one up if you don't have a bruised one. We store apples away from other fruit and veggies not even in the same refrigerator just due to ethylene gas.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Paper bags keep fruit more fresh by allowing moisture to move through it, but while ethylene gas is produced from some fruit, such as apples, it is a rather large molecule and does not pass through paper as easily, providing a concentration of enough gas to speed the ripening process. Plastic, on the other hand shortens storage life.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Try it first.

I know I have allready replied to this subject.I could'nt help but notice though that the few suggestions to put them in the fridge were not argued better.Barbara was right.I can and have put hard avacados in the crisper and they are still hard a week or more later.There were some really good ideas involving science and common sense, two areas I am sorely lacking.What ever you do if you want your avacados to ripen keep them out of the fridge.On top of the fridge sounds good to me.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
Head Chef

I usually just toss them in the cupboard with my spices, and they are usualy ready in a day or two. I always buy an extra one, just incase when i open one it is bad.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Experiance soon forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I usually just toss them in the cupboard with my spices, and they are usualy ready in a day or two. I always buy an extra one, just incase when i open one it is bad.
I hate when that happens.And it has happend to me more than once.You would think I would learn.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Master Chef

I usuallt buy a bunch of them. Keep the in the fridge, leave one out and keep taking them out one at a time, day ot two in advance. In my family unless it is guacomole, only one daughter eats it plain. She loves it, nobody else would touch it. so I give her for school lunch.

Tags
None