How do you keep your bananas from going bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a wonderfully cheap source of potassium and fiber. Just wish I could eat 'em without getting grossed out by the slimy texture. DH eats one every day. I can eat them IN stuff, just not alone.

When we ended up with a large amount from a big breakfast, I sliced them thinly and dehydrated them. Really good and crunchy.

[COLOR=Red said:
Selkie;1042665]Those "little" spots simply signify that the banana is ripened and ready to eat. It won't be discolored on the inside.
[/COLOR]
Major discoloration may have one or two interior discolorations, but those can be easily trimmed off if they bother you. The rest of the flesh is just fine and is generally ready for use in freezing or baking.

You sound like my mother Selkie. :ROFLMAO:
OK.......the day before it gets any little spots is the day for me. ;)
I guess I just don't like a perfectly ripe banana.

What a wonderfully cheap source of potassium and fiber. Just wish I could eat 'em without getting grossed out by the slimy texture. DH eats one every day. I can eat them IN stuff, just not alone.

When we ended up with a large amount from a big breakfast, I sliced them thinly and dehydrated them. Really good and crunchy.

Oh yeah Dawg........that "slimy" thing.:yuk:

I love love love banana chips!!

Blend them till smooth with some yogurt and honey and freeze in popsicle molds for a yummy frozen treat. You can also blend them with milk and add condensed milk for sweetness, also delicious :)

The only thing I can say is buy less or eat more, if they get too ripe for you to eat then make milkshakes. I don't think you can slow bananas down.

Bananas have to be mostly green for me to eat them...I eat them green and Shrek eats them ripe,,,so they last for both of us and I buy bananas every three days.

I used to prefer them on the green side, but now I like them yellow. Too much brown on the peel and they are usually softer than I like for eating. Especially on cereal.

Sorry for the late reply. I have been dealing with power outage due to Irene... finally gave in and drove an hour to my parent's house for hot water and electricity after 14 hours without electric.

How do you keep your bananas from going bad?

Teach them good manners from the start...:rolleyes:

LMAO... I will send them to Banana finishing school!.. or I can use them as condom demonstrators (I'm in the health field.. mainly HIV.. so I tend to think that way!) :)

Thanks for the ideas on freezing them. I have frozen strawberries... so does one peel the banana prior to freezing? I would think I would peel them and cut them and ziplock it and freeze it?

I don't like banana bread :) I work too much as is, I barely have time to cook dinner :)

Oh yeah Dawg........that "slimy" thing.:yuk:

I love love love banana chips!!

So how does one make banana chips? I'm asian and they sell them allt he time in asian markets.. and recently american markets...

Sorry for the late reply. I have been dealing with power outage due to Irene... finally gave in and drove an hour to my parent's house for hot water and electricity after 14 hours without electric.

LMAO... I will send them to Banana finishing school!.. or I can use them as condom demonstrators (I'm in the health field.. mainly HIV.. so I tend to think that way!) :)

Thanks for the ideas on freezing them. I have frozen strawberries... so does one peel the banana prior to freezing? I would think I would peel them and cut them and ziplock it and freeze it?

I don't like banana bread :) I work too much as is, I barely have time to cook dinner :)

So how does one make banana chips? I'm asian and they sell them allt he time in asian markets.. and recently american markets...

You make them like This :)

I'm trying to figure out if I've already said this. Those green bags do help. I've actually put a half of an apple or half of a banana in one and had them stay white for a day (not together! Bananas and apples will make each other ripen faster! Go straight to brown!). But some times I just want a half and the green bags do slow down the process (also lettuce and cabbage will last longer before "rusting"). This is a real help if you're a one or two person household.

So if I want my bananas to ripen faster so I can make bread I should put them in a bag with an apple? Lol.

I seldom buy banana's because they seem to have just a one day time span where I will eat them. They need to be at that precise day that they are fit for eating...if they have gone to the next day, and have any of those little spots on them that my mother lovingly called "sugar spots"........they are spoiled in my opinion. Ick.

My mother called bananas with brown spots "candied". Yuck. My sister liked them. My DH thinks I eat unripe 'nanners. We get about three days of 'nanner eating out of a bunch. The rest get left out until really ripe and then frozen for 'nanner bread.

This is one reason I drink smoothies. I rarely have a problem with over ripe fruit. They can go in the blender long after they become over ripe. Even better because they get very sweet. I have eaten or drank 3 or 4 bananas at a time. Usually about 10 a week around here

Rocklobster said:
This is one reason I drink smoothies. I rarely have a problem with over ripe fruit. They can go in the blender long after they become over ripe. Even better because they get very sweet. I have eaten or drank 3 or 4 bananas at a time. Usually about 10 a week around here

Love those smoothies myself. A good place for the overripe fruit!

So if I want my bananas to ripen faster so I can make bread I should put them in a bag with an apple? Lol.

Yes.

It's also good when the bananas want to go from green to that weird greyish yellow that is inedible. It's the ethylene gas that the apples produce. Some other fruits produce it too.

Just a note of interrest folks. When you freeze bananas, the skin will turn black and the flesh inside is perfectly fit to eat. :cool:

Just a note of interrest folks. When you freeze bananas, the skin will turn black and the flesh inside is perfectly fit to eat. :cool:

Not if you let them get very ripe first. They will be perfect for banana bread, but not for eating. Liquid separates from the flesh and they are kinda gross. For banana bread, reduce that liquid and measure the bananas by volume. Intense banana flavour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom