how to get lychees out of their shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking fool

Senior Cook
I poke a little hole in the shell with a knife & then giving it a squeeze, which causes the shell to split, then I peel it off. Is there a better way?

If they're really really ripe, the shell just peels right off, but you are probably not purchasing them tree-ripened up in Canada. We have a lychee tree in our back patio and harvested well over a hundred kilos last summer. Our neighbors love them, and we were the most popular people in our community for awhile! I think you have the technique down, BF. Enjoy them. They are wonderful.

Karen, can I come and just sit under your tree with my mouth open all summer??

Seriously though, I love lychees. They are super expensive here in Canada yes, but they are soo tasty. I don't usually have a hard time with the shell. I'd love to try a completely tree ripened one.

Baking fool that's pretty much the technique I use with them. I use a small fruit knife to first cut of a small section from the top. Then I push the edge of the knife in between the skin and flesh of the lychee and it comes out easily.

Lychees are so good. I can eat a large bowl in no time but yes they are very expensive.

I love to make icecream, milk shake and sherbet's from lychees.

I still have a pint container of lychee puree in the freezer that I will use for ice cream, Yakuta. I'm hoarding it for the time-being. Or I may make a "curd" out of it and use it to fill a cake, along with some mango puree for the second layer. Hmmmm.

Saph, come on down, and bring some of those lovely kitties with you.

Back
Top Bottom