"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 01-27-2005, 11:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

well, i made my soup tonite! i used about 2/3 of a bottle of strawberry-cranberry juice as the basis of the soup, then added dried cherries, a lesser amount of dried cranberries, 6 or 7 dried peaces (which i will omit next time and use dried apricots instead.) i added a few drops of lime juice
and put it on the flame, covered, on low heat. when the fruit came to a slow boil and was getting nice and plump, i added a big orange, cubed, and a slice of the peel. later on, just towards the end of cooking, added a pear and an apple, both cubed. i took a bath , then the soup was ready. it turned out really good, nice and piping hot. so nice after being out in the cold so i could go to the grocery store. well worth it though. the broth turned from a light pink to a lovely red; the fragrance was great as the juice started heating up, too. i need to do some tweaking... more citrus and the replacement apricots.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #12
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasgirl
I did see the post and I am so glad it suited you! I sometimes sub part of the basil with other herbs (mint, cilantro, parsley) for a different taste.

Isn't that soup delicious? YUM!
It was so good the was you printed it, I am not certain I would want to change it. I am not fond of mint or cilantry, but I always use Italian parsley, I guess it would taste good with marjoram, thyme or a combination. I may experiment.

Old 02-12-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I've always been fascinated with fruit soups (I'm half Swedish and love looking for Swedish recipes), but I've never tried it. I would love one with either cherries or strawberries. Fruit soups sound so refreshing!

:) Barbara
Old 02-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
I've always been fascinated with fruit soups (I'm half Swedish and love looking for Swedish recipes), but I've never tried it. I would love one with either cherries or strawberries. Fruit soups sound so refreshing!

:) Barbara
That is the great thing about these fruit soups, you can add what ever dried fruit you want to the mix. I always add a tablespoon of tapioca so that it thickens nicely. I like it warm over ice cream..

Tags
None