"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-12-2004, 01:41 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

I need recipes using dried fruits

Hello Everyone,

I work for Stoneridge Orchards Dried Fruits. We a small "mom & pop" company in the SF Bay Area that makes dried whole blueberries, strawberries, cherries, and cranberries. I get tons of emails and phone calls requesting dried fruit recipes. It would be cool if we can post creative (tried and tested) recipes from people who are passoinate about cooking. Please include your name (and email address if you'd like) so I can post the author on our web site. Thanks in advance.

David

Old 10-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi David and welcome to Discuss Cooking!

The only thing I have used dried fruits in I really haven't used a recipe. I use them in stuffing when cooking duck and I've used them in wild rice when used as a stuffing for cornish hens.

Blueberries, strawberries, cherries, and cranberries.......anyone have any recipes they'd like to share? What would you use these in?

Another thing that comes to mind is like an Apple Brown Betty with these added to it.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

hey dlou,
my wife makes a good apple pie by soaking raisins in brandy, then adding them to the pie. i'll see if i can get the recipe.
i love dried cranberries on mesculun lettuce, with dollops of goat cheese and walnuts, tossed in raspberry viniagrette.
or, with endive and radicchio, tossed in a lemon/garlic viniagrette, topped with slices of bresaola and shavings of locatelli.
(i need to get more salad recipes).

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 02:27 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
ok buckytom, you've jogged my memory.

mesclun mix or just spinach
sliced pear
dried blueberries
blue cheese

Make a simple vinagrette with
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil (you can use a light olive oil but nothing that gives it a lot of flavor)
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard (this will help flavor and keep it emulsified)
salt and pepper

Mix dressing. Place mesclun mix or spinach in a nice tall pile on plate, top with a pinwheel of sliced pears, around outer edges scatter the blueberries and blue cheese. Drizzle drssing on salad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 05:46 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks!

Thanks for helping me out.

dLou
Old 10-12-2004, 11:39 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Elton John in the desert!
Old 10-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #7
Certified Executive Chef

I make granola and use some of the dried fruits in that. Also, my mother made a Norwegian desert called Fruit Soup using the standard package or what ever your favorite dried fruits are and cover with water, add cardamom to taste (or your favorite spice), and 1-2 tbs of small fast cooming tappioca (for thickening) and bring to a simmer for several minutes until reconstituted. I remove the prunes. My preferences here are the apricots, peaches, golden raisins, blueberries, and cranberries. Sometimes I use cinnamon and cloves instead of the cardamom. It is good warm on ice cream or by itself.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:49 PM   #8
Senior Cook

You can make a pretty darn good syrup for pancakes or ice cream using dried fruits!

Simply melt some butter over medium heat in a saucepan, add the dried fruit of your choice and about a tablespoon of maple syrup and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Bring it to a slow simmer and slowly stir and add another half-cup of maple syrup. Great flavored maple syrups.

Also, you can take dried fruits and sugar 1-to-1 with water, add them to a pot and reduce by slow-boil by about half, or until sweetness and consistency desired is reached. Good flavorful topping for ice cream. Make sure to watch the pot and make sure the sugar doesn't caramelize on the bottom or you get a burned taste to the syrup. Strain, if desired, and chill. Add it to the ice cream with some fresh fruit, and it tastes awesome.

These techniques are mostly used with fresh fruit, but dried fruits would work as well.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #9
Head Chef

Fruit cake is the only thing that I can think of off hand that calls for dried fruit although I don't have a recipe for anything like that but I wish I did..................... hey anybody out there have a recipe for a really true and delicious fruit cake?. :D :D

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

sorry, Tweedee, but I can't put "delicious" and "fruitcake" in the same sentence - no how, no way.

Tags
None