I Need To Learn All I Can About Nuts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, Mittens. Welcome to DC.

Without a more specific information as to why you want to know about nuts, here's a site that lists information on seeds and nuts. See if the information there is what you are looking for.

Thanks! :w00t2:

More specifically, I think I need to know which nuts are good for mixes. :idea:
I'm planning a party, and would like to make the best party mix EVER! :sorcerer:

:wacko:

Ah, that's more like it. In that case, you might want to post a question under the "Fruit & Nuts" section asking something like, "ISO killer good nut mix for parties." That will get your question in the appropriate forum with the best chance of good answers. Good luck.

Ah, that's more like it. In that case, you might want to post a question under the "Fruit & Nuts" section asking something like, "ISO killer good nut mix for parties." That will get your question in the appropriate forum with the best chance of good answers. Good luck.

This isn't the Fruit & Nuts section? :unsure:

This forum has good smilies. :punk:

You're right, Mittens. It is. Must've had a "senior" moment. Glad you like our smiles.

If you want me to, I can change the title of this thread for you.

Nah, I kinda like the thread title, thanks though. ;)

MOst nuts are a bit salty, with some having more crunch and smokey overtones, such as almonds, while others are soft and sweet like hazlenuts and cashews. As with all multi-ingrediant dishes, search for a ballance.

If I were to make a nut mix, first, I would mix nuts and something similar from the grain family, such as sun chips. The nuts would include hull-less roasted peanuts, cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, and macadamia nuts. I would toss these with the sun chips and a bit of Lee & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce. I might even throw some crunch, broken prezels into the mix.

Another great mix would be to use various chocolate covered nuts, tossed with some of those hollow, cream-filled cookie roll-ups (can't remember what they're called off the top of my head) that come in canisters, and some yougurt covered nuts for color and flavor, maybe some M&M's too.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks! :w00t2:

More specifically, I think I need to know which nuts are good for mixes. :idea:
I'm planning a party, and would like to make the best party mix EVER! :sorcerer:

:wacko:

I wanna come to a nutter party, Mittens!!!:ROFLMAO:
(you're right about the smilies btw)

Try this:

CG Christmasy Nut Stuff That's Yummers
INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup pecans, cashews, walnuts, or mixture, toasted*
PREPARATION:

Combine sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, butter, vanilla and water in saucepan. Cook stirring constantly, until a small amount dropped into cold water forms a soft ball, about 236° on a candy thermometer.

Stir in toasted nuts. Remove from heat and stir until no longer glossy. Pour into buttered baking sheet and spread thinly. Cool, and break into pieces. *To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.

I always pick out the pecans first, then cashews. I have a nut hierarchy that I like..:chef:

I wanna come to a nutter party, Mittens!!!:ROFLMAO:
(you're right about the smilies btw)

Try this:

CG Christmasy Nut Stuff That's Yummers
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup pecans, cashews, walnuts, or mixture, toasted*
PREPARATION:

Combine sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, butter, vanilla and water in saucepan. Cook stirring constantly, until a small amount dropped into cold water forms a soft ball, about 236° on a candy thermometer.

Stir in toasted nuts. Remove from heat and stir until no longer glossy. Pour into buttered baking sheet and spread thinly. Cool, and break into pieces. *To toast nuts, spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 350° oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.

I always pick out the pecans first, then cashews. I have a nut hierarchy that I like..:chef:

WOW! AWESOME! :w00t2:

I love you even more now, Cinni. :wub:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom