"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 05-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

Another suggestion is u can cook coconut rice with the coconut milk
In singapore, its a well-known malay dish serve with fried chicken wings, sambal chilli, peanuts.. in fact, anytings u like...

bubblygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Urmaniac, try 'chicken in coconut sauce from my 'african recipes'Make cocnut milk by blending the grated cocnut in water until it's smooth. and yes, coconut rice is great too. I cook it a lot of the times instead of just steamed rice. Also you can make maandazi(african recipes) I use cocnut milk, but I recall my mum using grated coconut.yakuta's recipes are so yummy, I have to find a coconut! and your presentation makes me want to stare at the food the whole day.

Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks Jikoni for the tip for the homemade coconut milk!! I like a recipe very similar to your "chicken in a coconut sauce", I always used a ready made coconut milk from a tin.
I was always wondering about how you would make a coconut milk, I had imagined it may be the liquid at the centre but I found out the liquid is actually clear. can I use that liquid to blend the grated coconut with? I also wanted an idea for the usage of that liquid!!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #24
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Always Hungry
How about peeling the coconut with a vegetable grater until you have small
slivers of coconut. Let it dry a bit, but not so that it's brittle and stale.
Get some of your favorite bread and lightly toast it. After, spread a slight
bit of honey and sprinkle the coconut shavings on top.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:28 PM   #25
Head Chef

Hi Ur, on making coconut milk at home and yes I also use the canned ones but guess what the real deal is much better. I have heard that some canned varieties add cornstarch to thicken the milk. Now the ingredients don't say that but most of these are exported and I am not sure how honest they are about disclosing the contents.

The water inside a coconut (green or brown) is to drink. The brown ones are drier and hardly have any water. You can by all means use the water to grind the coconut.

To make coconut milk is extremely simple. It is once you get the coconut shelled and cut into small cubes. I normally throw it into a blender with 2 or 3 cups of plain water. Blend it and then strain it in a colander so that you can squeeze out the milk from the fleshy chewy part. Keep pressing until all you have left is husk looking pulp.

I will sometimes reblend the husk looking pulp once more with a cup of water to ensure I get as much as I can out of the coconut. I don't believe in waste

Use this milk to make curries or any other dishes that you fancy. I am assuming italian food does not use coconut milk but hey you can always experiment right.

You can freeze this milk as well in an airtight container and use it later.

Tags
None