Ideas for fresh figs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Figs in Nightgowns

12 large ripe purple figs
1 cup Nutella
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt​

Wash figs and pat dry. Set aside.​

Put Nutella in a warm place so it is easy to spoon. Or place the jar in a bowl
of very hot water. Spoon Nutella into a clean, dry bowl. Whisk in 1 cup yogurt until completely smooth.​

Dip each fig into the mixture, holding it by its stem. Cover each fig completely or almost completely with a thin coating. Place on a large plate
lined with wax paper. Refrigerate until very cold. Serve a few tablespoons of plain yogurt alongside.​

Or - serve them whole with a ramekin of the sauce on the side, cut the figs in half lengthwise and drizzle with the sauce.​

Piccolina said:
This thread has absolutely perfect timing for me too. Our new place has a big fig tree growing upstairs and when they're ripe, we are welcome to take as many as we want (at the insistence of the people upstairs). For the first time ever I'll have a bounty of figs, as opposed to paying top dollar for just a few each year. Both DH and I are so excited, we love figs and I can't wait to try some of the recipes here (so much inspiration!) :chef:
What a wonderful recipe Mish, figs and nutella how utterly sweet that is! :)

Stuff them

Cut an X into the top of the fig and gently pry it open enough to stuff it.

The stuffing is up to you.

Some suggestions are :saga blue, toasted pignoli nuts and honey
stone crab, tarragon, homemade mayo
sundried tomatoes, anchovies, basil, ricotta

My favourite way to eat them is to slice them, and serve them on baguettes with arugula and goat cheese.

Just picked some large figs off my young fig tree that is only a couple of years old. This came from a cutting from a tree I bought my sister ten years ago. Here in Florida they produce for a long time. Have to watch that the birds don't eat them since they know when they are ripe.
I have even added them to spaghetti sauce when I had to many. I am enjoying the different ways of cooking them.
_______
Sueanne

Attachments

• jul27_01vincent leg & figs 55.jpg
    jul27_01vincent leg & figs 55.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 145

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom