"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Kayell-So that Meyer lemon tree is fairly short? That would probably be even better for Oklahoma....you know, the wind sweepin' down the plain and all. How tall will it get?

Old 02-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
Kayell-So that Meyer lemon tree is fairly short? That would probably be even better for Oklahoma....you know, the wind sweepin' down the plain and all. How tall will it get?
Yes, mine is short yet Annie..about 3 ft tall at three years old, however as you can see, it's as wide as it is tall. My picture was shot looking down from my front porch. In the ground they will grow to 6 to 8 ft tall.....much smaller than the Eureka lemon orchards here. Those trees are about 20 ft.
Lemon trees don't take kindly to freezing so in many places you'd need to grow it in a large pot on wheels that could be moved to a warmer spot.
I sure know about winds here...we get Santa Ana's (Devil Winds) from the east and they can be hot as a blow torch (ie. fire season). My tree is planted next to a wall to shield it from the wind. Naturally, if it's gown in a pot, it won't get bigger than the pot it's grown in.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Our Meyer lemon is about 6' tall. It started blooming about 3 weeks ago and already there are several lemons. Our key lime tree has also started blooming. Hopefully it will be a good crop this year.

Craig
Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So true Annie.....that bottled lemon juice is about as nasty as "cooking wine".

My Meyer lemon tree is a treasure to be sure. I check on it with my morning coffee every day. It's only about 3 feet high and three feet across, and has been in the ground for 3 yrs. This morning I counted 22 lemons with more on the way.
I love the frozen lemon slices idea, Chopper!
My Mom has a Meyer lemon tree in her yard that is about 20 years old, and I love it... Her neighbor has the regular lemon tree, and my client has a key lime tree which is producing beautiful fruit now... So i'm hooked up when it comes to those 3 citruses...
Old 02-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Ok, you southerners are making me yearn for the citrus crops! I will just have to wait until I also have a lemon tree in my house. I grew up where we had grapes and cherries at Grandma and Grandpa's house, and apples and pears at home. In Colorado I have yet to grow good fruit. I am going to try apples I think, and of course my inside lemon tree!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Head Chef

I bought my Meyer lemon from Stark Bros. online last spring. It was about a foot tall when it arrived, and already had 2 teeny lemons on it!

It has been blooming for the last month or so, with lots of pretty and perfumey flowers, and I see little lemons where the flowers have fallen off. It spent last summer outside, and this winter in a south window, with lots of sun.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
I bought my Meyer lemon from Stark Bros. online last spring. It was about a foot tall when it arrived, and already had 2 teeny lemons on it!

It has been blooming for the last month or so, with lots of pretty and perfumey flowers, and I see little lemons where the flowers have fallen off. It spent last summer outside, and this winter in a south window, with lots of sun.
It's good to know it can be done in my general area! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
What a good idea, Chopper!

What I read about the bottled lemon juice made me vow to start keeping fresh lemons on hand for juice.
Yeah, bottled lemon juice has a nasty aftertaste. It's the sodium bisulfite?, bisulfate? anyway, something like that. I noticed the nasty taste when a friend used it in her hummus.

I buy organic lemon juice in a bottle and it's much nicer. It's not quite like fresh lemon, but almost.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

So you can bring the tree indoors? I am curious to try that! How often do you water it? And do you have it in a 5 gallon pot or larger pot?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
Master Chef

All of that information is on the link I posted on this thread, Lean Pocket.

Taxlady, that new avitar of yours is hysterical
She looks like she just ate a lemon. Who is she?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lemon