Interesting Lemon Link

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good link. I read it, but one thing I did not see was anything about freezing lemons. I know that I have made ice rings before, and that the frozen lemons in that were just fine and flavored the punch, so when I had lots of lemons that I picked myself from a friend who lives in AZ, I froze some (sliced). They work great to add to both cold and hot tea. Just pop them in frozen. I use them in the cold tea instead of ice, and in hot tea to cool it down just enough to start drinking right away. I had never thought to try this before, and always scrambled to use up lemons before they went bad if I had lots.

What a good idea, Chopper!

What I read about the bottled lemon juice made me vow to start keeping fresh lemons on hand for juice.

What I read about the bottled lemon juice made me vow to start keeping fresh lemons on hand for juice.

So true Annie.....that bottled lemon juice is about as nasty as "cooking wine". :yuk:

My Meyer lemon tree is a treasure to be sure. I check on it with my morning coffee every day. It's only about 3 feet high and three feet across, and has been in the ground for 3 yrs. This morning I counted 22 lemons with more on the way. ;)
I love the frozen lemon slices idea, Chopper!

So true Annie.....that bottled lemon juice is about as nasty as "cooking wine". :yuk:

My Meyer lemon tree is a treasure to be sure. I check on it with my morning coffee every day. It's only about 3 feet high and three feet across, and has been in the ground for 3 yrs. This morning I counted 22 lemons with more on the way. ;)

This subject has inspired me to try growing a lemon tree of some sort within the next few years. We are building a house out at my fiance's in the country and I plan to make a spot with good southern exposure so we can bring it in during the winter months.

Thanks, it works like a charm.

WOW, to be able to have a lemon tree in your yard! and now that I have read that link, I know that your kind of lemons are sweeter. I just love learning new things related to food! Maybe I need to build a sun room to be able to have a lemon tree! Oh, why does everything have to cost money...:wacko:

Thanks,
I really like having fresh lemons. They keep quite a while, but it is nice to buy a really big bag, and with freezing them I don't have to worry about waste ever again.

:)You too can have a Meyer Lemon Tree......

Meyer Lemons, Meyer Lemon Tree: Everything you would ever want to know

Here's a picture of my in ground Meyer tree

img_968592_0_6ef7a4f77ed82f0e0c1ec7e15cfa5619.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I added that link for the Meyer lemon trees in my favorites so that I can order one when the weather is nicer. I can't believe that I can have a lemon tree as a house plant! I am SO going to do this. I am so excited! By the way, your tree is beautiful!

Last edited:
Thanks Chopper. You will get so much enjoyment from owning one. I live in the Heritage Valley in Ventura county,California. It's known as the lemon capital of the world so having one in the ground is no problem for me. As you know though, the Meyer is not a commercial lemon because of the thin skin. I'm tickled you'll be getting one.....you won't be sorry. ;):cool:

Kayell-So that Meyer lemon tree is fairly short? That would probably be even better for Oklahoma....you know, the wind sweepin' down the plain and all. How tall will it get?

Kayell-So that Meyer lemon tree is fairly short? That would probably be even better for Oklahoma....you know, the wind sweepin' down the plain and all. How tall will it get?

Yes, mine is short yet Annie..about 3 ft tall at three years old, however as you can see, it's as wide as it is tall. My picture was shot looking down from my front porch. In the ground they will grow to 6 to 8 ft tall.....much smaller than the Eureka lemon orchards here. Those trees are about 20 ft.
Lemon trees don't take kindly to freezing so in many places you'd need to grow it in a large pot on wheels that could be moved to a warmer spot.
I sure know about winds here...we get Santa Ana's (Devil Winds) from the east and they can be hot as a blow torch (ie. fire season). My tree is planted next to a wall to shield it from the wind. Naturally, if it's gown in a pot, it won't get bigger than the pot it's grown in.

Our Meyer lemon is about 6' tall. It started blooming about 3 weeks ago and already there are several lemons. Our key lime tree has also started blooming. Hopefully it will be a good crop this year.

Craig

My Mom has a Meyer lemon tree in her yard that is about 20 years old, and I love it... Her neighbor has the regular lemon tree, and my client has a key lime tree which is producing beautiful fruit now... So i'm hooked up when it comes to those 3 citruses... :):):)

Ok, you southerners are making me yearn for the citrus crops! I will just have to wait until I also have a lemon tree in my house. I grew up where we had grapes and cherries at Grandma and Grandpa's house, and apples and pears at home. In Colorado I have yet to grow good fruit. I am going to try apples I think, and of course my inside lemon tree! :)

I bought my Meyer lemon from Stark Bros. online last spring. It was about a foot tall when it arrived, and already had 2 teeny lemons on it!

It has been blooming for the last month or so, with lots of pretty and perfumey flowers, and I see little lemons where the flowers have fallen off. It spent last summer outside, and this winter in a south window, with lots of sun.

I bought my Meyer lemon from Stark Bros. online last spring. It was about a foot tall when it arrived, and already had 2 teeny lemons on it!

It has been blooming for the last month or so, with lots of pretty and perfumey flowers, and I see little lemons where the flowers have fallen off. It spent last summer outside, and this winter in a south window, with lots of sun.

It's good to know it can be done in my general area! Thanks!

Yeah, bottled lemon juice has a nasty aftertaste. It's the sodium bisulfite?, bisulfate? anyway, something like that. I noticed the nasty taste when a friend used it in her hummus.

I buy organic lemon juice in a bottle and it's much nicer. It's not quite like fresh lemon, but almost.

So you can bring the tree indoors? I am curious to try that! How often do you water it? And do you have it in a 5 gallon pot or larger pot?

Last edited:
All of that information is on the link I posted on this thread, Lean Pocket.

Taxlady, that new avitar of yours is hysterical :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
She looks like she just ate a lemon. Who is she?

Back
Top Bottom