Is there a thread for granola recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
one large container of regular oats (i rarely measure anything but granola is very easy to make) your choice of dried fruit, flax seeds, wheat germ, nuts, honey, about 1 cup apple juice and 1/2 cup vegetable oil mix oats, 1/4cup wheatgerm, 1/2cup flax seed, oil, nuts, juice and honey together in a large bowl spread on cookie sheets place in a medium oven until dry periodically stiring it. when done add your dry fruit and store. I hope this works for you you may have to adjust your honey and juice a little. I make very large batches for my family.

I have all the ingreds for the granola, or for much granola.
I guess I went overboard.
Don't care though.
I have a dental apt. in about 35 minutes.
I have to do that. Don't want to but have to, these crowns kill.
I also have a funeral service to go to today but that's later.
I think I'll organize all on the island now, set out everything that'll go in, and when I get home from the dentist, I can then start my project.
One thread said to incorporate the fruits in after I bake everything else yes?

tuh duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this house smells so good.
first two sheets are in the oven now.
I have set the timer so that every 20 minutes or so, I can pull out, turn over and put in for more time if needed. this first of the batches is bethzarings.
I upped the cinnamon by quite a bit as I kept tasting as I was combining and it needed it for my taste, remembering the B&B who's was total cinnamony.
This stuff will be incred, it's already wonderful before oven but after it's done and the toasted coconut goes in{I just toasted it separately while I was stirring the granola ingreds in}, didn't want it to burn as it's sweetened coconut, couldn't find unsweetened, and the other fruits and raisins go in, I'll report back once it cools and I add a bit of milk and try it.

After the dentist, I found a garage sale. Mind you, I bought gallon sized zipper bags yesterday for this experiment. Oh well> this house had many many glass containers with the rubber seal around the top> all sizes but I was only after the real big ones [plus] a gorgeous light yellow 8 quart sized ceramic bowl, real old, really calling my name. ended up with glass containers and bowl in my car and now I'm out of dinero. So, I'm set for the storage part and the mixing was done in my new old bowl.

Lefse, are you still looking for recipes to try? I tried a really lovely one and I think its a keeper. It has lots of dried fruit in it though. Do you like that?

Yes Alix.
I would say I probably overbought the fruit, but then, that's how I like it. Actually, I like it any old way, fruit or no fruit. I love lots of fruit with lots of flavor which is why this one I'm doing now, bethzarings, sounded or seemed very unusual to me as I wasn't clear on some of the items. I did omit the nutrional yeast, didn't feel like driving to one more store, all else is in there, but did way up the cinnamon. I should take pix of the containers I bought today. Plus all the ingredients I bought for this/these event/s,. I would love your recipe. Please post for me, thank Alix

Will do. Just have to go dig it out. Can you PM me a reminder if you don't see it here in a day or so?

I'm half way through this first batch.
It is wonderful.
Some things I did learn by reading about granola.
First, don't bake until you think it's done, it'll be overdone in that case. Take it out when it looks a bit underdone and it will finish a few minutes out of oven.
Second, my batch still wasn't cinnamony enough and without buying a new kind of cinnamon, I'm going to try infusing the oil next time with cinnamon sticks. Then won't it be cinnamon oil? That B&B granola was hopping with cinnamon with the first bite. I want mine the same.
Also, I want much more coconut only cause I love coconut as does my daughter.
This batch also, didn't clump. Maybe too much oil, maybe I checked/stirred it too much, don't know but no clumps which I for sure want.
I think granola is a process that one needs to perfect and the methodology is necessary too. I am a work in progress but for now, a happy woman cause this stuff is sooooooooo good.
Major thanks for those who helped this lass in the wonderful concoction known as granola.........

8 cups rolled oats
4 cups shredded coconut
4 cups slivered almonds
2 cups sunflower seeds

Place these in a roasting pan and stir to combine.

1 cup good honey
1 1/2 cups canola oil

Whisk these together and drizzle over oats mixture. Stir til everything is well coated and then bake in the oven about an hour at 250ish.

Add 2 cups each:
Chopped dates, chopped prunes, raisins, craisins, roasted cashews. Toss and stir into the baked mixture. Allow to cool before storing.

***My changes***

I only made a half batch and used some maple syrup with the honey. About 1/2 and 1/2. I only added the apricots and craisins as we have a cashew allergy in the house and I also didn't feel like making a special trip for prunes and dates. It was GREAT. I have enjoyed both the original version and my own version. Hope you like this one.

all I gotta go to the store for is more of the oats.
have everything else.
so glad that dh and ds have been helping themselves to the granola as now, I only have one portion left, meaning I am obligated to make another batch...YEAH!!!!!:w00t2::clap::punk:

Back
Top Bottom