ISO help to ID an exotic fruit I bought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ok, ill try to describe it in words, and if that doesnt work, Ill take a pic and post it.

Anyway, here it goes.

I love trying new fruits and veggies. Its kinda like a hobby of mine. When i go shopping, i make an effort to go into markets of different cultures and regions just to see if they have things ive never tasted before.

This fruit was bought in a South American market.
Its about the size of a large grapefruit.
Not perfectly round, but round
Green in color (like the color of a lime)
hard exterior, but not like coconut, maybe hard like and unripe avocado
the outside also looks kinda like scales of a fish, each "scale" is about the size of this smiley face :)
The scaley surface is smoother than it looks.

I havnt cut it open yet, since i dont know what to do with it yet or know if it is ripe or not.

There is no smell, and it looks like some areas are turning a brown, but not soft to touch.

good luck

Interesting. Not the fruit, but that you bought it without knowing a thing about it. No one in the store to ask? I guess I'm not so adventurous.
Are you sure it's food? :LOL:

Its also not a cherimoya
well, im kinda spur of the moment when it comes to exotic fruits and veggies
and i never ask, I just kinda try and figure it out myself, or with the help of you guys/ gals

Ive seen it around before, so I assume its kinda common in the hispanic community, i just never had it in me to buy it until today. I just need to figure out what to do with it before it rots

also not a Soursop (Guanabana)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck Larry, I close my eyes when I walk by the fresh herbs (lol).
Take a pic and post it.

Is it the thing in the bottom left corner of photo?
Where's MexicoKaren when we need her?

fruit_baskets_04.jpg

I have no idea, but I am curious to hear the answer and find out what you do with it Larry.

its similar color to that lower left fruit, but more round . I actually came across the same pic when i tried googling too. Ill try the rest of today totry and find it online, if not, ill post a pic tomorrow when i get home from work.

All parts of the tree yield latex, a milky juice, which is used for boat caulking. I don't know if I like the sound of that in my mouth!.
You ought to buy an extra one to try this, below, and then post in a year or 20. LOL! Just kidding.
preservation is an issue. One traditional preservation technique is to bury peeled and washed fruits in a leaf-lined pit where they ferment over several weeks and produce a sour, sticky paste. So stored, the product may last a year or more, and some pits are reported to have produced edible contents more than 20 years later
It even has it's own cookbook:
cookbookcoversm.jpg
So, if you can roast, or bake, or boil, have you decided which way you're going to try it? I would think boiled would bring out the potato taste mentioned. Roasted or baked might take like bread.

Curious, so keep us posted, okay?
Thanks for the post, Larry.

I'll stand in for MexicoKaren. She's been busy getting her paintings ready for the Bucerias Art Walk on Thursday. I can tell you what the fruit is in Quicksliver's photo. It's called a tuna here in Mexico. It's a mild sweet fruit with lots of seeds that you don't spit out. I first tried it just a month ago and didn't know what to do with the seeds until someone said "Just swallow them"! Now I'll be looking to see if they have breadfruit here. I've never tasted one. Tell us how it is, Larry!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom